All motor vehicles registered in this state shall be inspected once each year at state approved inspection stations. Any newly registered vehicle not currently inspected in this state must be inspected within 15 days from the date of registration.
1996 and new gasoline powered vehicles, and 1997 and newer diesel powered vehicles having a gross vehicle rating of 8,500 pounds or less, must have an On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) examination as part of their annual safety equipment inspection. The OBDII examination tests the emission control system of the vehicle.
The fee for the inspection shall be based on the hourly rate of the official inspection station or may be a flat rate fee. In either instance, the rate must be prominently posted and displayed beside the official inspection station certificate.
23 V.S.A. § 1222. Inspection of registered vehicles
- Inspection Station Certificate - $6.00
- Inspection Sticker Fee - $6.00
- ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence)
- NARSA (National Automotive Radiator Service Association)
- NASF (National Association for Surface Finishing)
- NATEF (National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation)
- NATM (National Association of Trailer Manufacturers)
- NCVECS (National Center for Vehicle Emissions Control & Safety)
- NMA (National Motorist Association)
- SAA (Society of Automotive Analysts)
- SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
- USEPA - Green Vehicle Guide
- USEPA - National Vehicle & Fuel Emissions Laboratory