Renewals, Transfers & Upgrades

About one month before your CDL expires you should receive a renewal notice in the mail, if we have your most current mailing address. Answer all the questions on the notice, sign it, and bring it to the Customer Services Office closest to you for processing along with the renewal fee. A CDL must be renewed in person.

CDL Upgrade:

If you want to upgrade your commercial driver license to a higher class, you must must obtain a Commercial Licene Permit and hold it for a minimum of 14 days. If you wish to drive combination vehicles or add endorsements, you must take and pass the appropriate knowledge tests. A skills test (pre-trip inspection and on-road driving test) will be required in a vehicle representative of the class of vehicle you wish to drive. You will be subject to a subsequent test fee for this examination.

CDL Transfer:

In accordance with State and Federal law, any person holding a commercial driver license from another state must transfer their out-of-state commercial driver license within 30 days after establishing residency in Vermont.

Related Forms & Information


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
Contact us

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon