Crashes (Accidents)

Download a Operator's Report of Motor Vehicle Crash form.

The following is information that will explain your legal obligations with regard to the filing of a crash/accident report:

Title 23, V.S.A., § 1129, (a):

(a) The operator of a motor vehicle involved in an accident whereby a person is injured or whereby there is total damage to all property to the extent of $3,000.00 or more shall make a written report concerning the accident to the commissioner of motor vehicles on forms furnished by the commissioner. The written report shall be mailed to the commissioner within seventy-two hours after the accident. The commissioner may require further facts concerning the accident to be provided upon forms furnished by him or her.

  • If you are involved in an accident and anyone suffers injuries of any kind (no matter how minor) and/or the amount of property damage (damages to your vehicle and any other vehicle or any other property) totals $3,000.00 or more you are required to file an accident report with the Vermont DMV.
  • You must use form # TA-VA-04 to file your report of accident.
  • You must file this report with the Vermont DMV within three (3) days after the accident has happened.
Title 23, V.S.A., § 1129, (b):

(b) As used in this section the word "accident" refers only to incidents and events in which the motor vehicle involved comes into physical contact with a person, object or another motor vehicle. It shall not include such contact where a vehicle involved is being used by a law enforcement officer as a barrier to prevent passage of a vehicle being operated by a suspected violator of the law. In such cases, the law enforcement officer shall not be required to make a personal written report of the incident.

  • To be considered an "accident" your vehicle must come into physical contact with:
  1. another vehicle (or vehicles), and/or
  2. with a person (or persons), and/or
  3. with an object (example: a sign, a deer, a rock)
  • A law enforcement officer who has used a vehicle as a barrier to stop a suspected violator is not required to file an accident report if the law enforcement vehicle is struck by another vehicle, however, any driver whose vehicle comes into contact with the law enforcement vehicle must file an accident report

Title 23, V.S.A., § 1129, (c):

(c) The owner and the operator of a motor vehicle covered by one or more policies of liability insurance shall notify any person injured by the motor vehicle, or the owner of any property damaged thereby, of the name and address of all liability insurance companies which may cover the incident, and the numbers of the policies. The notification shall be made to the injured person, or the owner of the damaged property, or both, not more than five days after the injury or damage. The information shall be given to the injured person and the owner of the damaged property at the last known address of each.

  • The owner and/or the driver of a vehicle that is involved in an accident must provide liability insurance information to anyone who suffered injury and/or property damage as a result of an accident within five (5) days after the accident.
  • The following is a list of the insurance information that you must provide:
  1. The name of your insurance company
  2. The address of your insurance company
  3. Your insurance policy number

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon