Decrease font size Reset font size Increase Font Size Print This Page Email This Page

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

General Information

U.S. citizens returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are now required to present a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card or an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). For up to date travel document requirements see US Customs and Border Protection.

Our Enhanced Driver License Checklist provides information that will help you in preparing to obtain your EDL. An EDL/ID has a fee that is in addition to the standard fees for licenses and/or Non-Driver ID (license fees vary by class, duration, and endorsement).

When obtaining an EDL, allow at least 2 weeks for delivery. The temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing, so please plan accordingly. If you have not received your new license within 20 days please contact us. 

Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID

Bennington Monday-Friday 7:45 A.M. thru 4:00 P.M.
Montpelier Monday-Friday 7:45 A.M. thru 4:30 P.M.
Newport Monday-Friday 7:45 A.M. thru 4:00 P.M.
Rutland Monday-Friday 7:45 A.M. thru 4:00 P.M.
South Burlington Monday-Friday 7:45 A.M. thru 4:00 P.M.

EDL applicants must complete:

One of the following:

Required Documentation

  1. Identity and date of birth
  2. United States Citizenship
  3. Social Security number
  4. Vermont residency and current residential address

For additional information on EDL see;

Proof U.S. Citizenship

In addition to the ID requirments listed above, EDL applicants must prove U.S. Citizenship.

At least ONE of the following must be presented.

  • Original certified birth certificate issued by a government unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory. Birth registration and hospital issued birth certificates are NOT accepted.
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561).
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N-578).
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545).

Name Changes (marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.): If your current license has a different name than your identity documents you must have evidence of legal name change. All documents must show the same name and/or date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.).

How to Obtain a Certified Birth Certificate

Copies of birth certificates and other personal vital records can only be obtained from the state or US possession where the documents were originally filed. Most states provide a centralized source from which birth certificates and other vital records can be ordered.

Each state and US possession has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates on other vital records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all US possessions can be found on the Where to Write for Vital Records web page, maintained by the US Centers for Disease Control.

When ordering, be aware that shortened (abstract) versions of birth certificates offered by some states are not acceptable for proof of US Citizenship. Be sure to order only the full, certified copy of the original birth certificate bearing the registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office.

Minor Children

Minor Children (under 18 years old):

Minor's evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of relationship to the minor applicant. Minor child must apply in person with parent/guardian(s). Minor child must provide his/her proof of Social Security number. Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under age 15 do NOT need to provide photo ID.