You are required by law to notify the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of any change to your address or name.
Change Your Address Online
- Go to DMV Express, our online renewal service, and click "Continue" to the second screen.
- Enter your Driver's License Number in the first box and click "Continue" directly below the field.
Note: You cannot log in using your plate number to change your address.
- Click the yellow button on the left side "Change my address with the DMV."
- Provide your date of birth and last 4 digits of your Social Security Number and click "Submit."
- Enter your new address information and click "Submit."
In Person or By Mail
In Person: Bring the completed Duplicate/Corrected Registration or License Form (form #VL-040) to any Vermont DMV Office.
By Mail: Mail all pages of the completed Duplicate/Corrected Registration or License Form (form #VL-040) and any required fees to:
Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
Change Your Name
You must apply in person in order to have your name changed on your license or non-driver ID card. To obtain a corrected license, please provide the following documentation:
- Verification of your name and date of birth via Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV). You must update your records with the Social Security Administration prior to processing a name change at DMV.
- Documentation of your new name in the form of:
- An original or certified copy of a marriage license/certificate
- Civil union certificate, or
- Court order clearly stating your new name
- Completed Name/Address Change Form (form #VL-040)
A change of company name requires a Change of Name Certification from the Office of Secretary of State.