Vanity (Personalized) Plates
Any person registering a vehicle in Vermont may complete an application for a "vanity" plate. If the vehicle is currently registered in Vermont, only the Vanity (Personalized) plate fee is due. If the vehicle is not currently registered in Vermont, complete a Vermont Registration, Tax and Title Application, TA-VD-119 ( 424.7KB). Submit all correct fees for registration, including the additional Vanity (Personalized) plate fee and the application for the Vanity (Personalized) Plate ( 84.94KB).
An annual fee (in addition to the annual registration fee) is required for "vanity" plates.
Special plates are issued under the following conditions:
- No prior request has been received for the same combination.
- For any vehicle type except dealer, transporter, Veteran and service & safety organizations.
- A separate application must be made for plates for each vehicle.
23 VSA 304:
The commissioner may revoke any plate described in this subsection and shall not issue plates with combinations of letters or numbers that objectively, in any language :
(1) are vulgar, scatological, or obscene, or constitute racial or ethnic epithets;
(2) connote breast, genitalia, pubic area, or buttocks or relate to sexual or eliminatory functions;
(3) refer to any intoxicant or drug; to the use, nonuse, distribution, or sale of an intoxicant or drug; or to a user, nonuser, or purveyor of an intoxicant or drug;
(4) refer to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability status;
(5) suggest a government or governmental agency;
(6) suggest a privilege not given by law in this state; or
(7) form a slang term, abbreviation, phonetic spelling, or mirror image of a word described in subdivisions (1) through (6) of this subsection.
Please refer to the instructions on the back of the Vanity Plate Application for more information.
Delivery may take up to 30 days from date of application.