Verification of Vehicle Serial Number
VIN Verifications in Vermont
VIN verifications conducted in Vermont are to be completed by a Vermont law enforcement officer, personnel employed by a law enforcement unit who for this purpose are under the direct supervision of a law enforcement officer, or DMV employees designated by the Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
VIN Verifications Out-of-State
VIN verifications done out-of-state are to be completed by motor vehicle officials or state level law enforcement officials, or by those personnel authorized by that other state to perform VIN verifications, subject to approval by the Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Military personnel may have the VIN verification completed by the Commanding Officer or Provost Marshal of the military base. VIN verifications performed out-of-state must be accompanied by a letter of identification of agent on official letterhead.
- New vehicles with factory issued AAMVA standard manufacturer certificates of origin or New Vehicle Information Statements do not require VIN verifications.
- New vehicles with documentation other than AAMVA standard manufacturer certificates of origin or New Vehicle Information Statements must have the VIN verification performed by an authorized Vermont Motor Vehicle Department Employee.
Used Vehicles - 15 years old or newer
- Used vehicles with valid Vermont titles do not require VIN verifications.
Used vehicles with out-of-state titles do not require VIN verifications as long as they were sold directly to the applicant(s) for Vermont registration and/or title by licensed Vermont or licensed out-of-state dealers, and they have not been previously registered or titled to the applicant(s).
All other used vehicles with out-of-state titles are required to procure VIN verifications from the Vermont or out of state personnel listed above.
- Vehicles with Salvage Documentation: All vehicles which have "salvage" documentation from Vermont or any other state are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
- Vehicles being titled under bond: All vehicles being titled under bond are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
- Vehicles accompanied by registrations from any foreign country, including Canada: All vehicles with registrations from any foreign country, including Canada, are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed above.
For all VIN verifications involving U.S. Servicemen or Vermont residents, in which a physical examination of the vehicle cannot be completed by the agencies or persons listed above, the Vermont DMV Chief Inspector's office may authorize the VIN verification to be performed by other agencies or persons acceptable to the Vermont DMV Chief Inspector's office.
Vehicles with discrepancies in documentation, or which do not conform to established standards, may be required to have a VIN verification performed under terms and conditions as prescribed by and at the discretion of the Vermont DMV Chief Inspector's office.
All used motorcycles 500 CC'S or more being registered/titled in Vermont (regardless of the model year) are required to have a VIN verification by a full time law enforcement officer or DMV personnel.