Cancellation of Registration
All of the following is required in order to cancel a registration:
- Return the plates, registration certificate and the stickers (if they have not been attached to the plates).
- Send a letter explaining why you want to cancel the registration, and requesting a refund (if you qualify - see below).
- Complete the transfer of ownership section on the registration certificate.
You may be eligible for a refund under the following conditions:
- The registration has been canceled before the beginning of the registration period, or
- The registration has been canceled within 30 days of the date of issue (if the registration stickers have not been affixed to the plates).
If you have a 2-year registration you may receive a refund of the second year’s registration fee:
- If you cancel the registration prior to the beginning of the second year of the registration period.
You may also apply for a refund if the registration was done in error. For example, you thought you were renewing a registration for different vehicle. In this case the refund amount would be the registration fee paid minus a $5.00 administrative fee retained by the Department.