Vanity (Personalized) Plates
Any person registering a vehicle in Vermont may complete an application for a "vanity" plate. If the vehicle is currently registered in Vermont, only the Vanity (Personalized) plate fee is due. If the vehicle is not currently registered in Vermont, complete a Vermont Registration, Tax and Title Application, TA-VD-119. Submit fees for registration, including the additional Vanity (Personalized) plate fee and the application for the Vanity (Personalized) Plate.
An annual fee (in addition to the annual registration fee) is required for "vanity" plates.
Special plates are issued under the following conditions:
- No prior request has been received for the same combination.
- For any vehicle type except dealer, transporter, Veteran and service & safety organizations.
- A separate application must be made for plates for each vehicle.
The Commissioner may revoke any plate described in this subsection and shall not issue plates with combinations of letters or numbers that objectively, in any language:
- Combinations of letters or numbers that in any language, are vulgar, scatological, or obscene, or constitute racial or ethnic epithets
- Combinations of letters or numbers that is suggestive of, in any language, breast, genitalia, pubic area, or buttocks or relate to sexual or eliminatory functions. Additionally, “69” formats are prohibited unless used in combination with the vehicle make, for example, “69 CHEV.”
Combinations of letters or numbers that are suggestive of, in any language, to:
- Any illicit drug, narcotic, intoxicant, or related paraphernalia;
- The sale, the user, or the purveyor of such substance;
- The physiological state produced by such a substance.
- Combinations of letters or numbers that refer, in any language, to a race, religion, color, deity, ethnic heritage, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, or political affiliation. However, a combination of letters or numbers that is a generally accepted reference to a race or ethnic heritage, for example, “IRISH” may be issued.
- Combinations of letters or numbers that suggest, in any language, suggest a government or governmental agency.
- Combinations of letters or numbers that form, in any language, slang term, abbreviation, phonetic spelling, or mirror image of a word described in the restrictions above.
A combination of letters, numbers or spaces may be used.
- No more than two (2) numbers are allowed in combination with letters (the letter “O” is considered to be a number (zero)).
- Dots, dashes or other special characters or symbols cannot be used.
- The plate cannot begin with the letter “Z”.
- A single letter plate is acceptable; however, the letter cannot be an “I”, “J”, “O” or “Z”.
A maximum of seven (7) characters may be used witht he following exceptions;
- Moped, motorcycle and small trailer plates are limited to maximum of (6) characters.
- Disabled plates are limited to a maximum of five (5) characters.
- Antique and Exhibit plates are limited to a maximum of four (4) characters.
- Delivery of Special Plates may take up to 30 days from date of application.