Renewal Of Your Vehicle Registration
Registration Renewal Options
- Renew your registration online. Note: Renewals can not be processed online until the month in which they expire.
- Renew your registration (in person) at any DMV office.
- Renew your registration at a self-serve kiosk located in each office - call for more information.
- Renew your registration (in person) at a participating Town Clerk's office.
- Renew your registration through the mail.
- Renew your registration using our interactive voice response (IVR) system by calling 866.259.5368
Normally you will receive a computer-printed renewal application in the mail (approximately 3 weeks before your current registration is due to expire). Upon receipt of the computer-printed renewal application you must sign the application and return it to the VT DMV together with the renewal fee that is indicated on the application. If you choose to mail your renewal application to the VT DMV it should take approximately two weeks for your renewed registration to be returned to you.
Your renewed registration will consist of the registration certificate (which must be carried in the vehicle whenever it is being operated) and stickers which must be attached in the appropriate area of your plates/tags.
If you do not receive the computer-printed application it will be necessary for you to complete a Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title application ( 424.7KB) and deliver the completed application (together with the appropriate fees) to our main office in Montpelier. These cannot be processed by any of our satellite offices.
If it is necessary for you to complete a Vermont Registration, Tax and Title application ( 424.7KB) for renewal of your Vermont registration, you must complete Sections 1, 2, 4 and 8. You must also enter the plate number for the registration you are renewing (in Section 1A of the form).
Most questions you may have regarding this type of transaction may be answered by reading the instructions ( 334.3KB) pertaining to the Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title Application. If you don't find answers to your questions in that document (or elsewhere on this web site) please telephone:
(802) 828-2000, or
(toll free) 1-888-99-VERMONT (1-888-998-3766)
or send an email to CommissionersOffice@state.vt.us with your specific question(s).