Related to tax collected by DMV.

Motorboat Application

03 November 2017
To apply for registration as new, transfer, renew, or title only on a motorboat. Boat registrations also require submission of Vermont Tax form SU-452.


Companies/organizations that currently qualify for exempt status: A-Z (alphabetical listing).

The following is a list of conditions that will allow you to register your vehicle exempt of payment of the Vermont Purchase and Use Tax:

A vehicle owned or leased by government

You will be required to submit proof of government ownership.

A vehicle owned or leased by religious or charitable institution

These groups must submit the following documentation:

Credits & Refunds

A tax credit/refund may be available within 3 months prior to or after the purchase of a new vehicle.

A tax credit may be applied toward the tax due at the time of registration for a vehicle registered to you and sold 3 months prior to the purchase. A tax refund may be applied for when a vehicle is registered to you and is sold within 3 months after the registration of a different vehicle. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for further information.


Subscribe to RSS - Tax

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon