Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

U.S. citizens returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card or an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). An EDL can NOT be used for international flights. For up-to-date travel document requirements see U.S. Customs and Border Protection

A temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing, plan accordingly. If you have not received your new license within 20 days please contact us.

See Form VL-018 for additional information on ID requirements.

An EDL/ID has a fee that is in addition to the standard fees for licenses and/or Non-Driver ID (license fees vary by class, duration, and endorsement). License fees »

How to Obtain an EDL

Complete the appropriate application for your situation:

  • Valid license (form #VL-040)
  • New license or renewing license (form #VL-021)
  • New or renewing commercial license (form #VL-031)
  • Non-driver identification card (form #VL-017)

Required Identity Documentation

You will need documentation to establish identity. More information...


Children under age 18 must apply in person with parent/guardian(s) who have evidence of relationship to the minor applicant. The minor child must provide his/her proof of Social Security number and U.S. citizenship. Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under age 15 do NOT need to provide photo ID.

Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID:

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader


Yes. State-issued Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDLs) are designated as acceptable border-crossing documents by DHS under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and are acceptable alternatives for official federal purposes such as accessing a Federal facility or boarding a commercial aircraft. Individual agency policies may still apply.

Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are the only states that currently issue EDLs.

Until full enforcement of REAL ID begins on May 3, 2023, DHS and its component agencies, including TSA at its airport security checkpoints, will continue to accept for identification purposes all Vermont Driver’s Licenses and ID cards, as Vermont has been recognized as a Real ID compliant.

If a mistake is found on your license/ID please contact us.

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon