Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

U.S. citizens returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). An EDL can NOT be used for international flights. For up-to-date travel document requirements see U.S. Customs and Border Protection

A temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing, plan accordingly. If you have not received your new license within 20 days please contact us.

See form VL-018 (below) for additional information on ID requirements.

An EDL/ID has a fee that is in addition to the standard fees for licenses and/or Non-Driver ID (license fees vary by class, duration, and endorsement). License fees »

The first issuance of an EDL requires an in-person visit. All in-person visits require an appointment.

How to Obtain an EDL

Complete the appropriate form (see bottom of page) for your situation:

  • I have a current valid license. Use form #VL-040.
  • I need a new Vermont license or I am renewing my Vermont license. Use form #VL-021.
  • I need a new Vermont Commercial License (CDL) or I am renewing my Vermont CDL. Use form #VL-031.
  • I need a Vermont Enhanced Non-driver identification card (new or renewal). Use form #VL-017.

Proof of US Citizenship

In addition to the documents required for a Real ID license, an EDL requires proof of US Citizenship. More info »


Children under age 18 must apply in person with parent/guardian(s) who have evidence of relationship to the minor applicant. The minor child must provide his/her proof of Social Security number and U.S. citizenship. Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under age 15 do NOT need to provide a photo ID.

Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon