Moving to Vermont

You must obtain a Vermont vehicle registration upon establishing residency in this state.  This must be done no longer than 60 days after moving to Vermont or if your out-of-state vehicle registration expires before the end of this 60-day period you must obtain a Vermont vehicle registration before it expires (whichever occurs first). Two facts that you should be aware of when registering a vehicle in Vermont are:

  1. All vehicles must have liability insurance coverage in an amount that is not less than the statutory minimums.
  2. Upon registering your vehicle you will have 15 days in which to get the vehicle inspected at a Vermont Licensed Inspection Station.

To obtain your Vermont vehicle registration you must provide DMV with the following:

  • A completed Registration Application Form (VD-119),
  • The title to the vehicle (if the title to the vehicle is being held by the lienholder, you (the owner/lessee) must appear in person at one of our DMV locations with the full name and address of the lien holder. You would need to provide your original registration from your previous state. In this situation, only the owner/lessee may proceed with this transaction and only by appearing in person at a DMV office,
  • An updated (current) odometer reading,
  • Proof of the dollar amount of Purchase and Use or Sales tax paid on the vehicle to any previous state. Must include vehicle and owner information.
    • Note: At the time of registration a value will be assessed to your vehicle using one of the NADA guides. This value will be used to determine the amount of taxes due. If you have proof of payment of taxes to another state, in your name, on that vehicle, we will deduct that amount from the taxes due to Vermont. If the taxes paid to the other state are less than the taxes due to the state of Vermont, you will be required to pay the difference.
    • Proof of Purchase and Use or Sales Tax paid is not required if you have owned the vehicle for over three years in a state that collects tax. You must either provide the title displaying an issue date of 3 years or more in the past OR supply 3 years' worth of registrations (current registration is only creditable up to the current date).
    • No credit is allowed for property or excise tax paid. Rule of thumb - if the tax paid was deductible per IRS rule, it is a Personal Property Tax, not a Purchase and Use or Sales Tax.
  • Payment of any and all required fees.


Upon the transfer of ownership of a registered vehicle, the transferor shall immediately remove the plates from the old vehicle and may attach the plates to another unregistered vehicle owned by him or her and the owner or operator provided he or she has, within 24 hours of the transfer, made application, for transfer of the plates. See 23 V.S.A. § 321 for more detail.

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

Please put the plates on your vehicle, the paperwork that came with the plates is your temporary registration. If you need an inspection, use the temporary registration. The certificate and sticker will arrive by mail within about two weeks.

Yes, a valid license is not required to register a vehicle.

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

No, you may gift your personally owned vehicle to anyone you choose, but the plates belong to you and not to the vehicle. The new owner must apply for new plates and registration under their name.

Both owners listed on the front of the title must sign it over to who-ever is going to remain on the title (on section one on the back of the title). Fill out sections 1-4 and section 8 on the registration application and send both the title and the registration application in to our main office in Montpelier with the appropriate fees. You must also provide an updated odometer reading. If one of the owners is deceased, attach a copy of that person’s death certificate.

COVID-19 changes have caused delays in processing. It may take up to four (4) weeks to process. If it has been four weeks then please check with your bank to find out whether or not your check has cleared. If it has, then get the routing numbers from the back of the check and contact us.

Obtain a blank registration application VD-119 from this website, any Vermont DMV location, Town Clerk, or local Police Department. Complete sections 1, 2, 4, and 8 on the registration application and submit the application with the renewal fee. If you are registering a truck, trailer, motorcycle, or ATV you must also complete section 3 on the application. 

Complete the application for a replacement registration (form #VD-040) and submit it to this Department with the appropriate fee

Vehicles not displaying a valid Vermont inspection sticker must be inspected within 15 days of registration. If the vehicle is operated on a public highway within this 15-day period (without a valid inspection sticker affixed) the vehicle must still be in good mechanical condition and meet the Vermont Safety Inspection Standards. Remember, you must present an insurance identification card to the inspection station to show proof of insurance or the vehicle cannot be inspected.

Someone else can complete the form for you but the application must be signed and dated by the owner(s). If it's signed by someone who is acting as the "authorized agent" of the owner(s) proof of such authorization (such as power of attorney) must be provided to the department.

Vehicles may be registered at the Vermont DMV main office (in Montpelier) and certain registration transactions may be performed at our satellite offices.  You can also renew most registrations online and at participating Town Clerk offices.

Residents must annually register motor vehicles owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, unless currently registered in Vermont. A Resident who has moved to Vermont from another jurisdiction must register their motor vehicles within 60 days of moving to Vermont. It is illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle or draw a trailer or semi-trailer on any highway unless such vehicle is registered.


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon