Registration Processing for Out-of-State Car Dealers
An out-of-state car dealer who has sold a vehicle to a Vermont registrant may hand-deliver the registration paperwork to the Montpelier DMV Office for processing. If the number of transactions to be processed exceeds five (5), an appointment must be scheduled through the Commercial Vehicle Operations Unit. The following Policy must be adhered to when requesting an appointment:
- A courtesy call to the Commercial Vehicle Unit (at 802-828-2071) is required.
- At the time of the courtesy call the dealer will inform the Customer Service Representative that registrations will be dropped off. The dealer must also indicate the number of transactions that will be dropped off.
- Only one drop-off per dealer, per day is allowed.
- Appointments with 6-25 transactions require 24 hours to process. NOTE: If transactions are completed prior to the specified time, the dealer will be notified.
- Appointments with 26-50 transactions require 48 hours to process. NOTE: If transactions are completed prior to the specified time, the dealer will be notified.
- Appointments with over 50 transactions require 72 hours to process. NOTE: If transactions are completed prior to the specified time, the dealer will be notified.
- The name and telephone number of a dealer "contact person" must be provided. This "contact person" is the individual who will be notified when transactions have been completed and should also be available and prepared to answer any questions that may arise.
- For security reasons, a letter (written on the Dealer's letterhead) identifying the individuals who are authorized to pick up the completed registration transactions is required.
Transactions that cannot be completed will be returned to the dealer.
Information about processing registration/title transactions may be obtained by calling the Department's Information Unit at 802-828-2000.
- Additional Plates - $55.00
- ATV, Additional Certificates - $6.00
- All-Terrain Vehicle, Dealer - $62.00
- Car Dealer Registration (New, Used, Finance & Auction) - $503.00
- Farm Equipment - $78.00
- Highway Building Equipment - $123.00
- Motorboat Dealer, Additional Plates - $12.00
- Motorboat Dealer Registration - $42.00
- Motorcycle/Motor-Driven Cycle - $62.00
- Snowmobile Dealer - $55.00
- Snowmobile Dealer, Additional Certificates - $6.00
- Trailer - $123.00
- Transporters - $123.00