School Buses


Annual physicals are required for school bus drivers. Learn about the requirements and forms you need.


Requirements for registering a school bus in Vermont.

School Bus Clinics

A calendar of upcoming school bus clinics which are required to renew school bus license endorsements.

Types of School Buses

Definitions of the different types of school buses and special requirements for each.

Related Forms & Information


In order to convert an old school bus into an RV/Motor Home you must meet the following requirement:

Vermont Law 32 VSA §8902(11) defines a “Motor Home,” it states:

“means a new or used pleasure car designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into the integral part of,  or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van.  The vehicle must contain at least four of the following facilities; cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a sink and faucet, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, and/or an LP gas supply.”

If it does not have four of these items the use of the vehicle cannot be changed from a bus/school bus to an RV.  Just by taking out a “few seats” and adding “some beds” does not in itself change the purpose of the vehicle.  You would still need to install at least four more of the above items.  If you fail to do that the vehicle’s purpose would remain a school bus which would require the operator to have the appropriate license and endorsements. 

Additionally; the vehicle must be painted a color different than glossy school bus yellow and the eight way light system must be removed.  

No. DMV policy states "School bus mechanics will be required to possess, at a minimum, a Class B CDL with a "P" (passenger) endorsement to operate an empty school bus." This applies only to inspection of Type I School Buses. For Type II School Buses the inspection mechanic does not need a CDL or a Type II School Bus endorsement.

If the driver meets all qualifications for a Vermont Type II School Bus endorsement a card will be issued to the individual allowing them to drive a Type II School Bus in this state. These requirements include attending a Vermont school bus clinic, passing all required tests (knowledge, vision, and skill tests), and submitting a medical form.

The driver must obtain a Vermont CDL license, attend a Vermont school bus clinic, and provide a complete DOT (Department of Transportation) medical.

No, the "S" (school bus) endorsement must be added by the state of issue.

Yes, if their license has both an "S" (school bus) and "P" (passenger) endorsement. There are no additional requirements.

Type I School Buses must be National School Bus Glossy Yellow. It is legal for the hood and fenders to be lusterless black. Type II School Buses, manufactured after January 1, 2000, must be painted school bus yellow.

The School Board has the authority and responsibility to establish bus routes and stops. The school bussing coordinator should also be consulted. When the stop is on a state highway, the Vermont Agency of Transportation can be consulted and may send someone out to look at the stop and put up a sign if warranted.

Successful completion of a school bus clinic is valid for six (6) months.  If the driver has not obtained their school bus endorsement by the end of the six months they must attend another clinic.

In order for a school bus to obtain a municipal registration it must be owned by a municipality and used entirely by that municipality or any other municipality. A municipality may allow one of its buses to be used by another municipality. Compensation is not relevant.

There is no requirement that a school bus registered and garaged out-of-state, used for transportation of Vermont students, be registered in Vermont.

If the bus is garaged in Vermont it must be registered in Vermont. Vehicles incidentally in Vermont are not required to be registered in Vermont if they are here temporarily and will soon be returning to their home garage.

School bus drivers must furnish their employer a valid medical certificate.  The certificate may be valid for up to two years depending on the driver’s medical condition.

A Universal Medical Form will be accepted for Type II School Bus endorsements only. While they are good for the duration of the license (4 years mandatory) they must be submitted to DMV (when adding or renewing the school bus endorsement) within 6 months of date of physical.

A DOT physical is good for up to two (2) years and will be accepted by DMV (including for testing purposes) as long as valid, regardless of issue and expiration date.

Yes, if either of the following applies:

  • If the school bus is owned or operated by a school or in connection with school activities.
  • If transporting Head Start children in a situation where a school bus or MFSAB is required.

For a Type I school bus: No.

For a Type II school bus: Yes.

Yes, the applicant can drive the Type II School Bus to the exam location. School bus signs and lights do not need to be covered.

Yes. They don't need to be accompanied by a licensed CDL operator with an "S" endorsement. School bus signs and lights do not need to be covered.

School contractors need to be in compliance with all CDL driver qualification requirements and regulations (FMCSR 391). It should be noted while there is an exemption for "to and from school" operation, there is no such exemption for trips performed by contractors. School transportation performed by a state or political subdivision of a state (i.e., municipalities) are exempt from some CDL requirements. For more information see FMCSR 390.3 (a), applicability, (f)(1)(2) exceptions (see interpretations for this section).

  • Copies of physicals (to include vision and hearing screening),
  • Initial 3-year driving record,
  • Documentation indicating all students are participating in emergency evacuations twice a year, and
  • Records of vehicle pre-trip inspections.

Contractors also need to be in compliance with all CDL driver qualification requirements and regulations (FMCSR 391).

Contact Vermont League of Cities and Towns, Vermont Student Transportation Association, Vermont Truck and Bus Association or Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Employers of drivers holding CDL's must have a drug testing program. Drivers holding CDL's are subject to random testing. These requirements do not impact individuals holding a Type II endorsement.


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon