What is the fee for an Engineering Survey Review?


Storms can be very fluid, and the chain-up requirement may get turned on and off several times during a storm.

When VTrans activates (or de-activates) the chain-up law, they will post to VTrans’ Facebook page, VT511 Twitter page, the 511 Traveler Information website, and push out a VT Alert. 

With VT Alerts you can subscribe to get an email or text alert, so you don’t have to seek out the information.

The standard for stopping a vehicle in Vermont is “reasonable suspicion”. However, commercial vehicles are subject to inspection, upon demand, by an enforcement officer certified to inspect such vehicles.

There is no law that requires the use of chains on the Hogback Mountain portion of VT Rte 9.  The only mandatory chain-up area is from the chain-up site in Wilmington to the chain-up site in Bennington.

More information on Vermont Chain Up law

There is no Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation that prohibits a firearm from being possessed by a commercial vehicle operator while driving a commercial vehicle.  There might be another law or regulation that prohibits this act depending on who the operator is and what jurisdiction the operator is in.

The defendant on a ticket issued for an overweight violation can be the operator or the carrier. The fines for an overweight violation depend on several factors.  The fines are a set amount per thousand pounds overweight, and vary depending the amount of the overweight. It also depends if the vehicle is operating on a permit, and how many overweight tickets the defendant has been convicted of in the last 12 months. The fines can be found in the Judicial Bureau’s Schedule of Fines under Title 23 VSA Section 1391a at the following website: https://www.vermontjudiciary.org/eforms/Waiver_Penalty_Schedule.pdf

There are several ways a vehicle can be overweight; such as over the registered weight, over tire limits, over an axle weight, or over gross weight.  Depending on which way a vehicle is overweight depends on what there is for a enforcement tolerance.  Depending on the weight violation, a tolerance will vary from a zero tolerance to a 10% tolerance.  It also depends on whether the vehicle is being operated in conformance with a special permit.  However, there is no weight statute that uses the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) as the basis for a vehicle’s legal weight limit.

To get a USDOT number, new applicants must register online via the Unified Registration System

In general, a USDOT Number is required if you are operating in interstate commerce and:

You have vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs.
You transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation, whether direct or indirect
You transport 16 or more passengers
You haul hazardous materials

The only designated area to chain up for drivers traveling west is the portion of the old Route 9 that goes around the marina in Wilmington. This area is signed as a chain up area.

The designated chain up/down area in Wilmington is the old Route 9 that goes around the marina. This area is signed as the chain up/down area and as a one way road. This area is big enough for several tractor trailers. The pull off west of the marina is not the designated chain up/down area.

No. There is no legal requirement to use chains from the chain up/down area in Wilmington to points east.

Requests should be made to:

Commercial Vehicle Operations
Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
Phone: 802-828-2064

If additional permits are required and the information contained in the original survey is not changed in any manner (including the routes) the Engineering Survey is valid for 6 months.

The Engineering Review can take up to 10 working days.

Permits that meet or exceed the following perimeters:

  • 150,000 pounds or more
  • 100 feet long or longer
  • 15 feet wide or wider
  • 14 feet high or higher
  • A company or personal check may be mailed or delivered to Commercial Vehicle Operations. Check must be made payable to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (payable in U.S. funds only).
  • Cash is acceptable if delivered in person to Commercial Vehicle Operations.
  • Credit cards are not accepted.

Vermont does not require that you maintain proof of insurance on file with the Department, however, proof of insurance is required when:

  • Requesting a Super Load Permit, or
  • Blanket permits that are 100 feet long or longer.

Unless specifically stated on the permit, movement is restricted to daylight hours and shall be made between thirty minutes before sunrise and thirty minutes after sunset. No movement is allowed on state highways for loads in excess of 108,000 pounds, or over 10' 6" wide, or over 100' long on any Saturday, Sunday or Friday afternoon between July 1st and Labor Day. No movement is allowed on holidays observed by the State of Vermont. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is a legal holiday; if the holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is a legal holiday and these days are restricted as other holidays. See list of holidays.

Single trip permits are valid for 10 working days. If the move is not made during this time-frame a new permit must be purchased.

Permits can be obtained Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (except holidays - see schedule of holidays. In most cases it should take approximately 45 minutes for a response from the permit clerk. However, a 4-hour turn-around time has been established to take the Unit's workload into consideration during busy periods.

This is another complex issue. To obtain information pertaining to the type of permits available please contact Commercial Vehicles at 802-828-2064.

This is a complex issue. To obtain information pertaining to the type of permits available please contact Commercial Vehicles at 802-828-2064.

  • Complete and mail an application with the correct fee to Commercial Vehicle Operations.
  • Walk into the Commercial Vehicle Unit in Montpelier, Vermont.
  • Contact a Permit Service Company.
  • Faxed permit applications are accepted if you have an established escrow account.

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon