New License & ID Cards

Read more about changes to the Vermont Driver's License and ID Cards

Undocumented Immigrant in the United States

In order to obtain a Vermont License or Non-Driver ID, please complete an application (see bottom of page) and follow these steps;


If you are an undocumented Immigrant in the United States, you must provide the following documentation to obtain a Driving Privilege Card or Learner Privilege Card:

  1. Proof of Identity and date of birth
  2. Proof of Social Security Number
  3. Proof of Vermont residency and current residential address

NOTE: Vermont allows certain legally-present foreign visitors to legally drive on the roads of the State of Vermont on his or her own country's license. Undocumented immigrants can NOT operate using a foreign-issued license.

Identity and date of birth

Two or more of the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Previously issued Vermont License, not expired more than one year
  • Valid consular identification document issued by the government of Mexico, Guatemala (or any other government with comparable security standards and protocols, as determined by the Commissioner)
  • Certified record of the applicant’s birth, marriage, adoption, or divorce, including English translation if necessary

Social Security number

  • Social Security card, or
  • Letter from the Social Security Administration indicating ineligibility to receive a Social Security number

Vermont Residency and current residential address

Two pieces of mail received by the applicant within the prior 30 days with current name and residential Vermont address
At least one of the documents below with current name and residential Vermont address:

  • Vehicle title or registration
  • Document issued by a financial institution, such as a bank statement
  • Document issued by an insurance company or agent, such as an insurance card, binder, or bill
  • Document issued by an educational institution, such as a transcript, report card, or enrollment confirmation
  • Federal tax documents, such as W-2 or 1099 forms
  • State tax documents, such as an IN-111
  • Medical health records, receipts, or bills

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon