New License & ID Cards

Read more about changes to the Vermont Driver's License and ID Cards

New Driver's License

A Driver’s License is issued to eligible individuals 18 years of age or older who pass the required examination. This license allows a person to drive any noncommercial vehicle except a school bus or motorcycle. To drive a school bus or motorcycle additional examination(s) is/are required.

You must obtain a Vermont Driver License upon establishing residency in this state. This must be done no longer than 60 days after moving to Vermont or, if your out-of-state license expires before the end of this 60-day period, you must obtain a Vermont Driver License before it expires (whichever occurs first).

In order to apply for a Vermont Driver’s License you will need proof that you are a Vermont Resident or are a Visiting Citizen of a Foreign Country with an authorized duration of stay with at least 30 days remaining.

You will need documentation from each of the 4 categories below:

  1. Proof of identity and age
  2. Proof of lawful status in the United States
  3. Proof of Social Security Number
  4. Proof of Vermont residency and current address


If you have a valid license from another state:

When a new Vermont Resident applies for a Vermont Driver’s License and possesses a valid out-of-state license or an out-of-state license that has been expired for one (1) year or less, an eye examination will be required.

  1. Bring your valid or expired (1 year or less) license from your home state.
  2. You must also bring proof of Identity, date of birth, Lawful status in the United States, Social Security number, Vermont residency and current residential address. If your home state license is not valid, have someone who has a valid license drive you to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  3. When your Vermont license is issued, your out of state license must be surrendered.


Transferring an Out-of-State Junior Driver’s License (applicants under 18)

You may convert your out-of-state Junior Driver’s License and obtain a Vermont Junior Driver’s License by: (1) successfully passing the required examinations; (2) providing proof (see What Do I Need to Get a Junior Driver’s License, #2 above) of successful completion of a state approved Driver Education program; (3) providing proof of completion of an additional 40 hours of driving.

If you have a Junior Driver’s License from another state and apply for a Vermont Junior Driver’s License you will be subject to Vermont's Graduated License provisions unless you have held the Junior Driver’s License in the other state for a period of at least six months.



A person may not be issued a New license or renew an existing license when:

  1. A person whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle in any state has been suspended, revoked, or refused cannot be issued a license until such suspension, revocation or refusal has been terminated and the person has been officially notified in writing of reinstatement.
  2. A license cannot be issued to a person when the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles has evidence that such person either cannot or will not operate a motor vehicle without endangering the other users of the highway.
  3. A person is not a Vermont Resident.

If you are not a citizen of the United States please read this additional information.

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon