New License & ID Cards

Read more about changes to the Vermont Driver's License and ID Cards

Schedule an Appointment

Contact Commercial Vehicles/Licensing

Driver Training

CDL Learner Permit

You must have a valid CDL or Commercial Learner’s Permit to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

A Vermont Commercial Learner’s Permit allows a person to receive commercial driving instruction and behind-the-wheel driving experience on public highways. While driving on the road, the holder of a Commercial Learner’s Permit must be accompanied by a person who holds a valid CDL for the type of vehicle driven, including any endorsements, and who occupies a seat beside the individual, or in the case of a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, occupies a seat directly behind, or in the first row behind the driver, for the purpose of giving instruction in driving the commercial motor vehicle.

A permit shall be issued for a period of one year, and only one renewal or reissuance of a commercial learner's permit may be granted within a two-year period.

A person must hold a valid Vermont Operator’s License and pass the knowledge tests for the class of license for which s/he is applying to qualify for a Commercial Learner’s Permit. Knowledge tests may be required to operate certain types of vehicles, which require a separate endorsement on the Commercial Driver’s License. A skills test must be taken in a vehicle which represents the license class for which you have applied.

You must carry your Vermont Class D Operator’s License along with your Commercial Leaner’s Permit.

Note: You must hold a Commercial Learner’s Permit for 14 days before you can obtain a Commercial Driver’s License.

A Commercial Learner’s Permit holder has certain restrictions regarding the Hazardous Materials, Passenger, School Bus and Tank Vehicle Endorsements:

  • A Commercial Learner’s Permit holder is prohibited from operating a commercial vehicle which is transporting hazardous materials.
  • A Commercial Learner’s Permit holder with a Passenger Endorsement must have taken and passed the Passenger Endorsement knowledge test, but are prohibited from operating a commercial motor vehicle carrying passengers, other than federal or state auditors and inspectors, test examiners, other trainees, and the CDL holder accompanying the Commercial Learner’s Permit holder.
  • A Commercial Learner’s Permit holder with a Tank Vehicle Endorsement must have taken and passed the Tank Vehicle Endorsement Knowledge Test, but may only operate an empty tank vehicle and is prohibited from operating any tank vehicle that previously contained hazardous materials that has not been purged of any residue.
  • All other federal endorsements are prohibited on a Commercial Learner’s Permit.

Driver Privilege Card

Real ID


Driver Training, CDL


Renewal - License

Address Change

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon