Temporary Registration Authorization

When you appear at the Department of Motor Vehicles to have a registration processed, you may end up with a 60-day temporary registration instead of the permanent registration if the following situation occurs:

  1. The vehicle can be titled (the vehicle is 15 years of age or newer) and you do not have the title in your possession at the time of registration.
  2. If the VIN (vehicle identification number) number has not been verified and the vehicle is not present at our office to have the VIN number verified by one of our representatives.
  3. If the vehicle requires an odometer disclosure statement and you do not have it.
  4. If you are applying for a Vanity Plate temporary plates will be issued during the processing time to make the plate.

When you sign the Temporary Plate Authorization Form you acknowledge that you have read and understand the following:

  1. The temporary registration and plate are valid only for 60 days and cannot be renewed or extended.
  2. The fees paid in conjunction with the temporary registration will not be refunded.
  3. It is your responsibility to acquire the necessary documents and information required by law to complete the registration process, and you shall be fully aware that any delay in acquiring those documents may result in the expiration of your temporary plate.
  4. Furthermore, you understand that the expiration date of your permanent registration will be based on the date your temporary registration was issued. If you cannot meet the registration requirements a permanent registration will not be issued, paperwork will not be returned, and the vehicle cannot be operated on the highway.

Temporary plates will not be issued in the following circumstances:

  1. You have already been issued a temporary registration and have not completed the process.
  2. Transfer of plates that have expired.
  3. Changes in the registration requiring the title, signature or bill of sale.

NOTE: We have experienced difficulties in acquiring titles from some out-of-state lien holders. You should contact your lien holder prior to accepting the temporary registration.

Vermont Statute

23 V.S.A. ┬ž 312┬áTemporary registration pending issuance of certificate of title

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon