Transfer Ownership

To transfer your Vermont registration from one vehicle (car, motorhome, jitney, motorbus, motorcycle, trailer, or truck) to another you must do the following:

  • Complete the entire Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title Application (form #VD-119).
  • Be sure to enter the Plate number that you are transferring.
  • You must complete Section 7 of the Vermont Registration Application
    Send in your current Vermont Registration with the "Transfer Section" completed.
  • A change of legal ownership of the vehicle you are transferring from must occur before a transfer of registration will be allowed.

Most questions you may have regarding this type of transaction may be answered by reading the instructions (form #VD-119i) pertaining to the Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title Application.

See these instructions if the owner is deceased »

See Transfer Fees »

Related Forms & Information