Verification of VIN/HIN

28 February 2019
To verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or Hull Identification Number (HIN).

Assignment of VIN/HIN

11 January 2021
To request a VIN/HIN be assigned when the vehicle has never had or no longer has a proper VIN/HIN number.


The following is a list of conditions that will allow you to register your vehicle exempt of payment of the Vermont Purchase and Use Tax:

A vehicle owned or leased by government

You will be required to submit proof of government ownership.

A vehicle owned or leased by religious or charitable institution

These groups must submit the following documentation:

Exempt Title

A Vermont resident may apply at any time to the Commissioner to obtain an “exempt vehicle title” for a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.

Issuance of Exempt Vehicle Title upon Request

DMV will issue an exempt vehicle title if the following criteria are met:

CDL Exemptions

The following vehicles are not considered commercial motor vehicles. Operators of these vehicles are exempt from Commercial Driver’s License requirements:


Tax Exemption - Disabled Person

23 September 2016
To apply for tax exemption when the vehicle being registered is equipped with altered controls or a mechanical lifting device.

Exempt Title Affidavit

30 June 2020
To apply, as a Vermont resident, for an exempt vehicle title on a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.

Registration/Tax/Title Application

28 May 2021
To apply for registration and title (if applicable). Used for new transactions, transfers, renewals, title-only transactions, adding or deleting an owner, lease buyouts, and IRP transactions. Other search terms include VD119 & VD 119.
Subscribe to RSS - Exempt

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon