Referencing oversize, overweight, or over-dimension motor vehicles.

Permitting Rules

Rules and Instructions Governing Overweight and Over Dimension Vehicle Permits.

Special Excess Weight Permits

Annual written authorization granted by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles for the movement of a vehicle or combination vehicle and its divisible load up to specific weight limits over state highways.

Single Trip Permit

Single Trip Permits may be issued to cover a single trip within seven (7) working days of issuance.

US Route 4 Permit

Permits for US Route 4 from the New Hampshire state line to the junction of VT Route 100 South.

When do I need to obtain an overdimension or overweight permit?

A permit must be obtained if any of the following dimensions are exceeded:

  • 8' 6" wide
  • 13' 6" high
  • 75' long combination vehicle/46' long single vehicle
  • The gross weight of the vehicle or vehicle combination and load must not exceed limits imposed by statutes. (Gross weight includes weight of the motor truck or truck/tractor-trailer or semi-trailer combination, plus the heaviest load to be transported).

See 23 V.S.A. §1392 Gross Limits on Highways


Subscribe to RSS - Oversize/Overweight

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon