Relating to license plates.

License Plates

DMV will issue you two license plates, a validation sticker showing the expiration date, and a registration card. Place the plates on the front and rear of your vehicle so that they are securely fastened and clearly visible, and place the validation sticker on the rear plate. If your vehicle is a motorcycle, tractor truck, semitrailer or trailer, DMV will issue you one license plate for the vehicle.

Sample Plates

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles has the authority to issue many different types of motor vehicle license plates. Simply write a letter requesting a sample of the type(s) of plate you are ordering and enclose the appropriate fee. Your letter should be addressed to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05603-0001

The following is a list of the types of Vermont license plates that may be ordered in sample format (all zeros) – (fee for sample plates):

Intransit Plates/Permits

An Intransit plate is available to legally move a newly purchased vehicle prior to obtaining a new registration and is only valid for travel to destination that is listed on the application. Complete and submit an Intransit Plate/Permit application (form #VD-032) and pay the appropriate fee. The applicant for the Intransit Plate must show a bill of sale and (if applicable) a properly assigned title to prove vehicle was purchased in Vermont. Note: The title does not have to be a Vermont title.

Low Number License Plates

The Department of Motor Vehicles issues numbers 1001 through 9999 (known as "low" registration numbers) for cars or trucks (weighing up to 6099 lbs registered at the "pleasure car" rate):

A person holding a registration number between 1001 and 9999 may retain the number for the ensuing registration period, provided the renewal application is made prior to or within 60 days of the expiration of the registration.

Specialty Plates

All plates on this page can be used on vehicles registered at the pleasure car rate and trucks registered for less than 26,001 lbs. (Excluding vehicles registered under IRP).

See Related Forms & Information at the end of this page.

Safety/Service Organizations:

Disabled Plates & Placards

Vehicles with special registration plates or removable windshield placards from any state or which have a handicapped parking card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles may use the special parking spaces when the card or placard is displayed on the (interior) rear-view mirror or the plate is legally mounted on the vehicle as provided by the laws of Vermont or the state where the vehicle is registered.


Subscribe to RSS - Plates

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon