A Vermont resident may apply at any time to the Commissioner to obtain an “exempt vehicle title” for a vehicle over 15 years old.
Issuance of Exempt Vehicle Title upon Request
DMV will issue an exempt vehicle title if the following criteria are met:
- The applicant pays the applicable fee
- The applicant is the owner of the vehicle
- The applicant is a Vermont resident
- The vehicle is not subject to any liens or encumbrances
Before issuing an exempt vehicle title, all of the following are required:
- Registration, Tax & Title Form. The applicant must furnish one of the following proofs of ownership in order of preference:
- A previous Vermont or out-of-state title indicating the applicant’s ownership.
- An original or certified copy of a previous Vermont or out-of-state registration indicating the applicant’s ownership.
- Sufficient evidence of ownership as determined by the Commissioner, including bills of sale or original receipts for major components of homebuilt vehicles, or
- A notarized affidavit certifying that the applicant is the owner of the vehicle and is unable to produce the proofs listed above despite reasonable efforts to do so.
- Exempt Title Affidavit (form #VT-025) completed, signed, and notarized.
- Verification of VIN/HIN (form #VT-010).
- Assignment of a new VIN if the vehicle does not have one (form #VT-003).