Skip to main content

Exempt Vehicle Title

A Vermont resident may apply at any time to the Commissioner to obtain an “exempt vehicle title” for a vehicle over 15 years old.

Issuance of Exempt Vehicle Title upon Request

DMV will issue an exempt vehicle title if the following criteria are met:

  • The applicant pays the applicable fee
  • The applicant is the owner of the vehicle
  • The applicant is a Vermont resident
  • The vehicle is not subject to any liens or encumbrances

Before issuing an exempt vehicle title, all of the following are required:

  1. Registration, Tax & Title Form. The applicant must furnish one of the following proofs of ownership in order of preference:
    • A previous Vermont or out-of-state title indicating the applicant’s ownership.
    • An original or certified copy of a previous Vermont or out-of-state registration indicating the applicant’s ownership.
    • Sufficient evidence of ownership as determined by the Commissioner, including bills of sale or original receipts for major components of homebuilt vehicles, or
    • A notarized affidavit certifying that the applicant is the owner of the vehicle and is unable to produce the proofs listed above despite reasonable efforts to do so.
  2. Exempt Title Affidavit (form #VT-025) completed, signed, and notarized.
  3. Verification of VIN/HIN (form #VT-010).
  4. Assignment of a new VIN if the vehicle does not have one (form #VT-003).

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Title Sort descending ID# Description
Assignment of VIN/HIN
To request a VIN/HIN be assigned when the vehicle has never had or no longer has a proper VIN/HIN number.
Exempt Title Affidavit
To apply, as a Vermont resident, for an exempt vehicle title on a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.
Registration Application Instructions
Instructions for registration, tax, and title form VD-119.
Registration/Tax/Title Application
To apply for registration and title (if applicable). Used for new transactions, transfers, renewals, title-only transactions, adding or deleting an owner, lease buyouts, and IRP transactions.
Verification of VIN/HIN
To verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or Hull Identification Number (HIN).