Skip to main content


Vermont titles vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) that are 15 years old or newer based on the calendar year. For example: from January 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022, Vermont will title vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) with the model year 2008 or newer.​

As Vermont is now a participating member of NMVTIS please be advised that for all vehicles not titled in the state of Vermont a registration number will be submitted to NMVTIS as proof of ownership in place of a 13 character title number.

If you own the vehicle free and clear (no loan) the title will be mailed directly to you.

If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed to the entity holding the loan (not the owner) within 3 weeks of the processing of your registration.

If the vehicle has more than one owner, you need to indicate the rights of survivorship (see types of ownership for more information.)

If a vehicle is more than 15 years old, Vermont residents may apply for an exempt vehicle title.


The State of Vermont does NOT issue titles for the following:

  • Motorcycles with an engine size smaller than 300 cc
  • Motor-driven cycles
  • Road-making appliances
  • Tractors with a loaded weight of 6,099 lbs. or less
  • Trailers with an empty weight of 1,500 lbs. or less


How to Obtain a Vermont Title

New Vehicle

For a new vehicle that was not previously registered/titled anywhere, please provide:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned.
  • Bill of Sale may be required for Purchase & Use Tax purposes.
  • If the vehicle was manufactured in Canada, a New Vehicle Information Statement is necessary.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is the model year 2012 or newer.

Used Vehicle

For a used vehicle that was previously titled, please provide:

  • Original previous Certificate of Title assigned to you by all parties on the title and bills of sale as necessary to show the complete chain of ownership. All liens must be released.
  • Death Certificates and/or probate papers are required when one or more persons are deceased.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is the model year 2012 or newer.

For a used vehicle that was NOT previously titled but is required to be titled in Vermont, please provide:

  • Original or certified copy of the last Registration certificate and all Bills of Sale thereafter. Bills of Sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller, and Date of Sale.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is the model year 2012 or newer.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Title Sort descending ID# Description
Deceased Owner Informational Bulletin
Information about updating registration or title after the death of the owner. Includes Surviving Spouse Statement.
Exempt Title Affidavit
To apply, as a Vermont resident, for an exempt vehicle title on a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.
Lien Add
To add or adjust a lien to an existing Vermont title.
Lien Release
To release a lien on a existing Vermont title
Rebuilt/Salvage Title Application
To apply for a Rebuilt/Salvage Vermont title.
Replacement Title Application
To apply for a replacement Vermont title when the original title has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or is illegible.
Title Information
A bulletin of Vermont Title laws and title information details.