Applicant has a teaching certificate not endorsed for driver education:
State College External Degree Program
This program is conducted once a year in the central Vermont area. Information can be obtained by calling the Vermont Higher Education Collaborative at 802-498-3350. The program includes, but is not limited to the following units:
- Zone Control
- Driver Education 1
- Driver Education 2
- In-Car Teaching Techniques
Keene State College – Manchester, NH
The Safety Center program is conducted several times a year. Contact the college for scheduling specifics. Information can be obtained by calling 603-358-2290. The program may include the following courses:
- Introduction to Traffic Safety
- Methods of Teaching Driver and Traffic Safety Education
- Contemporary Issues and Methods in Traffic Safety
American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association – Teacher Credentialing/Certification Program
This program is conducted at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. The course is designed to prepare prospective driver education teachers for national credentialing or certification. The program includes the following courses:
- Driving Task Analysis
- Developing Driver Skills and Competencies
- Developing Classroom Knowledge
Other recognized courses that are specifically designed to prepare teachers for the task of delivering driver education. Other courses will be reviewed individually for content and validity.
- A recognized course on the effects of alcohol and drug use.
- Complete DMV driver license examination.
- Written test based on approved driver training materials (test administered by DMV)
Applicant does not hold a Vermont Board of Education Teaching Certificate:
- Completion of the requirements listed above.
- Coursework, such as Educational Psychology, that provides knowledge and skills pertaining to the principles of teaching and learning.
- 60 hours of classroom teaching experience. This may be documented as either student teaching time or classroom teaching experience that may have been obtained in other fields.