Can I convert an old school bus to use as a motor home?

How do I Title & Register a converted school bus to a motor home in Vermont?

There is a lot of confusion regarding the titles and registration of Skoolie, Shuttle, and Box Van Conversions. The laws vary from state to state, in order to convert an old school bus into an RV/Motor Home you must meet the following requirement:

Vermont Law 32 VSA §8902(11) defines a “Motor Home,” it states:

“means a new or used pleasure car designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into the integral part of,  or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van.  The vehicle must contain at least four of the following facilities; cooking, refrigeration or icebox, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a sink and faucet, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, and/or an LP gas supply.”

If it does not have four of these items the use of the vehicle cannot be changed from a bus/school bus to an RV.  Just taking out a “few seats” and adding “some beds” does not in itself change the purpose of the vehicle. You would still need to install at least four more of the above items. If you fail to do that the vehicle’s purpose would remain a school bus which would require the operator to have the appropriate license and endorsements. 

Additionally; the vehicle must be painted a color different than school bus yellow and the eight-way light system must be removed.  


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon