Public Records & Public Information Requests
As a public agency, the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles is responsible for applying efficient and effective management methods in creating, using, maintaining, retaining, destroying and preserving records created and received in the course of business. These records must be systematically managed – both to preserve their legal, historical and informational value, and to promote economic and transparent business operations.
See Public Outreach & Media Inquiries
Making a Request for Public Records
Complete this form. Upon receipt, we will fulfill your request or contact you for more information.
Not all requests for information are public records requests. If your request for data, records or public information, is determined to be a public records request, the following fees have been established as the actual cost of providing a copy of a public record in accordance with 1 VSA 316(d)
Uniform Schedule of Public Records Charges for State Agencies
Note that there are fees for copies of public records that are established by 23 V.S.A. § 114 that may override the fees established by this schedule.
- For staff time involved in physically duplicating a record, $.33 per minute after the first 30 minutes.
- For senior-level staff time, and information technology specialists’ time spent extracting data from databases or performing similar tasks necessary to comply with a request to create a new public record, $.57 per minute.
- For any other staff time for which cost can be charged and collected under this section, $.45 per minute.
- For photocopies, $.05 per single-sided page, $.09 per double-sided page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For color photocopies, $1.00 per single-sided page.
- For computer-generated paper copies, $.02 per page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For computer diskettes, $.28 each for 3.5-inch diskettes.
- For compact discs, $.86 each for write-once CD w/case, $2.31 each for re-writable CD w/case.
- For audiotapes, $.81 each.
- For videotapes, $1.69 each.
- For DVDs, $2.00 each for write-once DVD w/case, $4.00 each for re-writable DVD w/case.
Vermont Public Records Database