Skip to main content

How can I confirm that my training provider is on the TPR?


Where can I find the list of Vermont licensed CDL training school providers?
Who Is Exempt from ELDT?
  • Any individual that holds a Class A, Class, B, a Passenger (P) Endorsement, and/or School Bus (S) Endorsement, and/or a Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement prior to February 7, 2022.
  • Any individual that has a valid Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) issued prior to February 7, 2022, and obtains the CDL before the CLP expires.
  • Any individual that qualifies for a waiver under 49 CFR Section 383.
What is FMCSA’s CDL ELDT requirement?

No Commercial Driver License (CDL) entry-level operator may take a CDL skills test to receive a CDL A, CDL B, Passenger (P) Endorsement, or School Bus (S) Endorsement unless the driver has successfully completed a mandatory theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) training program by a registered CDL ELDT provider/trainer.

Also, any individual seeking a Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement must complete the respective ELDT training prior to taking the Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement knowledge test.

How can I confirm that my training provider is on the TPR?

For the most updated list of training providers on the TPR, visit the FMCSA’s ELDT website for details.

What role will the Vermont DMV play in the ELDT regulations?

 Vermont DMV will verify that an entry-level driver has completed the required training before allowing the driver to proceed with testing.

If I obtained my commercial driver license (CDL) before February 7, 2022, but have not obtained a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement before February 7, 2022, am I still subject to the ELDT requirements?

Yes. Any driver applying to obtain an S, P, or H endorsement for the first time on or after February 7, 2022, is required to complete the ELDT.

Will Vermont accept ELDT completion from other states?

Yes. If the training provider is on the TPR, Vermont will accept the ELDT completion.

What training must an entry-level driver complete to obtain a Hazardous Material (H) endorsement?

To obtain a Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement, the entry-level driver must complete mandatory theory (knowledge) training provided by a training provider listed on the TPR prior to taking the knowledge test for the Hazardous Material (H) endorsement. For more information regarding required training, see the FMCSA’s ELDT Curriculum Summary.

What training must an entry-level driver complete to take a commercial driver license (CDL) skills test?

Entry-level drivers attempting to take a CDL skills test to receive a Class A CDL, Class B CDL, passenger (P) endorsement, or school bus (S) endorsement must successfully complete a mandatory theory (knowledge) and a behind-the-wheel (BTW) training provided by a training provider listed on the TPR.

For more information regarding required training, see the FMCSA’s ELDT Curriculum Summary.

To provide ELDT, do I also need to be licensed as a driving school in Vermont?

If you are in Vermont AND you provide instruction for hire, you must be a licensed driving school. For more information about applying for a driving school license visit the Driver Training Instructors page.

Where can I find information for registering on the TPR?

For information needed to register on the TPR and the most updated timeline for registering, visit the FMCSA’s ELDT main page.

How can an entity become eligible to be listed on the TPR?

To be eligible for listing on the TPR, an entity must apply to and be approved by the FMCSA. Training providers must also comply with all applicable state requirements.

For a complete list of federal requirements, visit the FMCSA’s ELDT main page for details.

For organizations that train entry-level CDL drivers, see the Entry-Level Driver Training Rule Implementation Checklist.

For more information regarding required training, visit the FMCSA’s ELDT Curriculum Summary.

Who can provide Entry-Level Driver Training?

Only training providers listed on the TPR can provide ELDT.

What is a training provider?

FMCSA defines that training providers can include, but are not limited to, training schools, educational institutions, rural electric cooperatives, motor carriers, state/local governments, school districts, joint labor-management programs, owner-operators, and individuals. These examples are not intended to be a finite list; FMCSA adds them to illustrate the range of entities that could potentially be eligible for listing on the TPR. In addition, FMCSA notes that eligible providers may provide training either on a "for-hire" or "not-for-hire" basis. Examples include motor carriers who provide ELDT at no cost to current or prospective employees, independent training schools charging tuition, and individuals who train family or friends.

What is the Training Provider Registry (TPR)?

The TPR is a system created and managed by FMCSA. The system will list all ELDT providers that are approved by FMCSA and allow ELDT providers to submit ELDT completion information to the TPR. The completion information maintained on the TPR serves as proof that the entry-level driver applicant has completed the required ELDT.