Driver Training Instructors

In order to provide instruction for hire, in driving motor vehicles, individuals must be licensed. Those persons teaching driver education outside of a school system must be licensed through the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. Once licensed, instructors must work for a driver training school which has been licensed through the DMV.

Instructor Qualifications

Regulatory Guidance:  23 V.S.A § 705, 706; APA rule (1)

Overview:  Due to prior experience and education, some instructor-applicants are determined to be fully qualified to be licensed, while others might have to complete various educational and testing requirements.

A fully qualified applicant for standard training is one who holds a Vermont Board of Education Teaching Certificate, which is endorsed for driver education. For these applicants, no testing or additional education is required for initial licensing.

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon