Skip to main content

Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program

Throughout Vermont, trained officers inspect commercial vehicles and their drivers for compliance with state and federal motor carrier safety regulations. Inspections are conducted at interstate weigh stations as well as along many of the state’s frequently traveled rural roadways.

Additional Resources:

To file a complaint about a motor carrier that is engaging in unsafe operations, you may email the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Section. If your complaint necessitates further action, an officer may contact you for additional information.

To get a USDOT number, new applicants must register online via the Unified Registration System. Paper registration forms will no longer be accepted for initial applications, only for updates to existing registrations. Until URS is fully implemented, there is no charge for a USDOT number.

  • Do I need to stop at Vermont weigh stations?

All trucks regardless of weight are required to enter Vermont’s weigh stations and inspection areas when open. Vermont participates in the Drivewyze PreClear bypass program. Participating commercial fleets and owner-operators are eligible to bypass these sites at rates determined by the Vermont CVE Inspectors.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Guide to Motor Carrier Safety Regulations in Vermont
This guide has been written based on Vermont laws and regulations. Since the Vermont legislature convenes every year in January, the information in this guide is subject to change. We have made every effort to ensure that the information in this guide is correct and up-to-date.