Skip to main content

Automated Clearing House (ACH) Payments

All distributors filing a report must transmit payment of taxes to the Department of Motor Vehicles by means of an electronic funds transfer. See the complete "ACH Instructions" document below.

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles ACH Credit Processing

ACH Credit

An ACH credit transaction occurs when the originator (such as a business) authorizes a financial institution to send money from its account to recipients’ accounts. The information required to transfer the funds flows from the Originating Financial Depository Institution (ODFI) and gets put into a batch with other ACH requests. The batch is then transmitted to an ACH Operator, such as the Federal Reserve, at a predetermined time. The ACH Operator transfers the information to the Receiving Financial Depository Institution (RDFI), which deposits the credited amount of money in the recipient’s account.

ACH Debit

The other type of ACH transaction is an ACH debit transaction, in which the originator authorizes the recipient to withdraw money from the account. For example, taxes can be paid electronically using ACH debit; the state is instructed to withdraw the funds from the originator’s account. The difference between the two types of ACH transactions is slight: In an ACH credit transaction, the bank sends money directly upon the originator’s request; in an ACH debit, the bank receives a request for the money to be sent upon the recipient’s request. For this reason, ACH credit is sometimes called a “push” transaction, and ACH debit is sometimes called a “pull” transaction.

Important - Funds must be received by DMV by the 25th of the month – so plan ahead.

If you have questions or need further assistance regarding a financial transaction, please get in touch with DMV Accounts Receivable at 802.828.3052.

If you have questions regarding reporting issues, please get in touch with Commercial Vehicle Operations.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
ACH Instructions
Bring this guide with you when you set up your ACH credit account with your financial institution or payroll company.


If you are the only company that makes deliveries to a customer, do we need to track all individual delivery or just the total gallons delivered throughout the month?

No, you must also report who the fuel was purchased from and where the fuel was received from.

If I begin filing a return and it isn’t completed, is it saved?

If you are logged in and begin filing a return, click the ‘Save Draft’ button at the screen's bottom-left. Once you are ready to submit the return, go into your Action Center, click ‘View Submission’ with the corresponding return, and click ‘Continue Editing.’

If you are a business that is not located in Vermont, but you do business in Vermont, do you file differently?

No, You will file the same way as Vermont-based businesses.

Why is it asking to attach schedules when filing my Fuel return?

To use myDMV to file Fuel tax returns, taxpayers must upload their schedules using Excel or XML templates. The templates can be found on the Fuel Tax page.

If you do not have Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets can be used for free to produce schedules in Excel format.

How do I register a new business?

For any of the following account types, click on the ‘Register a Business’ link under Business Account Access from the myDMV homepage:

  • Fuel Tax Account
  • IFTA Account
  • IRP Account
  • Railroad Tax Account
  • Rental Tax Account