Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo


The following links provide information that will explain various types of commercial trucking permits and routing available.


The requirements for permitting tractor-trailer combinations with trailers not longer than 53 feet:

  1. Combination vehicles longer than 75 feet require a single-trip permit.
  2. If traveling Route 4 from the New Hampshire line to the junction of Vermont Route 100 south provided the distance from the kingpin to the rearmost axle group is not greater than 41 feet. Trailers may not be longer than 53 feet except special use trailers.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Title Sort descending ID# Description
Engineering Survey
To apply for overweight or over-dimensional permit when the route needs to be surveyed.
Oversize/Overdimension - Single Trip Permit
To apply for a single trip permit to operate a motor vehicle in excess of statutory weight or dimension limits.
Rules for Overweight Overdimension Permits
Rules and instructions governing overweight and over-dimension vehicle permits.
Special Excess Weight Permit
To request permission to operate a specific or combination vehicle with an excess of accepted weight/dimension on designated routes.
Uniform Municipal Excess Weight Permit
Municipal excess weight permit for commercial vehicles.