Skip to main content

Farm Equipment Dealer Permits


The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, or his/her representative, upon application, may issue annually to dealers in farm tractors or other farm implements, over width permits to transport or draw upon a highway such farm implements as are incidental to the conduct of such business.


When operation occurs using “Farm Dealer” plates permits are only valid for uses permitted under 23 VSA §454, Dealer’s use of motor vehicles.


Operation will be during the time from sunrise to sunset. No vehicles, implements or combination thereof shall be operated on any highway on a legal holiday, except on trips not in excess of two (2) miles, nor upon any highway at any time on which operation is prohibited by order of the Commissioner or his/her representative.

Maximum Width:

Thirteen feet (13’) – Farm Equipment Dealers ONLY

Flag requirements:

From sunrise to sunset, at least two (2) bright or fluorescent red or orange flags not smaller than eighteen inches (18”) square must be displayed on the left front and rear of the vehicle or implement or combination during the period thereof in such a manner as to be clearly visible from the front and rear for a distance of at least five hundred feet (500’). If equipment is manufactured with lights and brakes both must be in working order, other equipment must display a safety triangle on the rear.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Title Sort descending ID# Description
Rules for Overweight Overdimension Permits
Rules and instructions governing overweight and over-dimension vehicle permits.


What information is required when requesting a Super Load Permit and Engineering Review?

See the Application and Requirements (form #CVO-106).

How do I obtain Vermont overdimension permits?
  • Complete and mail an application with the correct fee to Commercial Vehicle Operations.
  • Walk into the Commercial Vehicle Unit in Montpelier, Vermont.
  • Contact a Permit Service Company.
  • Faxed permit applications are accepted if you have an established escrow account.