Skip to main content

Emergency Moves


For the purpose of these permits, an emergency is defined as follows:

"A calamity, existing or imminent, which requires immediate remedial action to protect life, property and the environment".  The fact a contractor or mover is being delayed in the execution of a job or contract or has a crew waiting for a piece of equipment is not sufficient justification for an emergency permit.

The request must be based upon such an emergency condition.  If it is necessary to make an emergency move at a time the Department of Motor Vehicles is closed, the applicant must contact the Department of Public Safety, Central Communications Center, 802-244-8727, Waterbury, Vermont and give a brief description of the emergency.  The Department of Public Safety will contact the authorized official for the Department of Motor Vehicles and provide information on the nature of the emergency.


The following procedure must be followed and the permit number issued prior to the move.

a. The person requesting the permit must provide the following information:

  1. Reason for the emergency move request.
  2. Complete name of mover.
  3. Description of load.
  4. Overall dimensions and weight of vehicle and load.
  5. Description of towing vehicle and trailer.
  6. Total number of axles.
  7. Axle spacing.
  8. Tire sizes (weight in excess of eighty thousand [80,000] pounds).
  9. Exact location of load.
  10. Exact destination.
  11. All routes requested.
  12. Any additional information requested by the authorized Department of Motor Vehicles official.

b.  The Department of Motor Vehicles authorized official will contact the Agency of Transportation for restrictions on bridges and road conditions when appropriate.

      Authorized Official:  Vermont Agency of Transportation

c.  Based on the information provided, the authorized Department of Motor Vehicle official will determine any special restrictions to be attached to the permit.

  1. The mover will be issued a special number preceded by the initials of the authorizing official.
  2. The mover may be assessed a fee.
  3. The authorized official will be responsible for notifying pertinent state and local law enforcement of the conditions of the move.

Authorized Official:  Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner or his/her designee

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Rules for Overweight Overdimension Permits
Rules and instructions governing overweight and over-dimension vehicle permits.


When can a single trip permit be obtained and what is the turn-around time for approval of permits?

Permits can be obtained Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (except holidays - see the schedule of holidays. In most cases, a permit clerk should take approximately 45 minutes to respond. However, a 4-hour turn-around time has been established to consider the Unit's workload during busy periods.

If a truck is overweight who is at fault, the operator or the owner of the vehicle

The defendant on a ticket issued for an overweight violation can be the operator or the carrier. The fines for an overweight violation depend on several factors.  The fines are a set amount per thousand pounds overweight, and vary depending the amount of the overweight. It also depends if the vehicle is operating on a permit, and how many overweight tickets the defendant has been convicted of in the last 12 months. The fines can be found in the Judicial Bureau’s Schedule of Fines under Title 23 VSA Section 1391a at the following website:

Where can I get a copy of the overweight/overdimension rules?

Download a PDF below or use our contact form to request a copy.

Commercial Vehicle Operations
Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
Phone: 802-828-2064

How long is an Engineering Survey valid?

If additional permits are required and the information contained in the original survey is not changed in any manner (including the routes) the Engineering Survey is valid for 6 months.

How long does an Engineering Review take?

Engineering Reviews can take up to 10 working days.

What information is required when requesting a Super Load Permit and Engineering Review?

See the Application and Requirements (form #CVO-106).

What constitutes a "Super Load" and requires an Engineering Review?

Permits that meet or exceed the following perimeters:

  • 150,000 pounds or more
  • 100 feet long or longer
  • 15 feet wide or wider
  • 14 feet high or higher
Do I have to maintain a certificate of insurance on file?

Vermont does not require that you maintain proof of insurance on file with the Department, however, proof of insurance is required when:

  • Requesting a Super Load Permit, or
  • Blanket permits that are 100 feet long or longer.
When can I move loads exceeding the legal limits?

Unless specifically stated on the permit, movement is restricted to daylight hours and shall be made between thirty minutes before sunrise and thirty minutes after sunset. No movement is allowed on state highways for loads in excess of 108,000 pounds, over 10' 6" wide, or over 100' long on any Saturday, Sunday, or Friday afternoon between July 1st and Labor Day. No movement is allowed on holidays observed by the State of Vermont. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is a legal holiday; if the holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is a legal holiday and these days are restricted as other holidays. See a list of holidays.

How long are single trip permits valid?

Single trip permits are valid for 10 working days. If the move is not made during this time-frame a new permit must be purchased.

I will be hauling a divisible load (i.e., forest products, milk, water, quarry products). What type of permit do I need?

This is a complex issue. To obtain information about the type of permits available please contact Commercial Vehicles at 802-828-2064 or use our contact form.

I have a piece of equipment that is wider than my vehicle. What type of permit do I need?

This is a complex issue. To obtain information pertaining to the type of permits available please contact Commercial Vehicles at 802-828-2064.