Licenses Issued by Foreign Jurisdictions

Reciprocity agreements

More information...

Recognition of nonresident licenses; foreign visitors (23 V.S.A. § 208)

A non-resident operator shall be considered as licensed or permitted in this State if the nonresident operator has complied with the laws of the foreign country or state of his or her residence relative to the registration of motor vehicles and the granting of operator's licenses or learner's permits. However, these exemptions shall be operative only to the extent that under the laws of the foreign country operator's residence like exemptions and privileges are granted to operators duly licensed or permitted under the laws of this State, except that if the operator is a resident of a country not adjoining the United States, the exemptions shall be operative for a period of not more than one year even if the country does not grant like privileges to residents of this State.

License required (23 V.S.A. § 601)

In addition to any other requirement of law, a nonresident as defined in section 4 of this title shall not operate a motor vehicle on a Vermont highway unless:

  1. he or she holds a valid license or permit to operate a motor vehicle issued by another U.S. jurisdiction;
  2. he or she holds a valid license or permit to operate a motor vehicle from a jurisdiction outside the United States and:
    1. is 18 or more years of age, is lawfully present in the United States, and has been in the United States for not more than one year; and
    2. he or she possesses an international driving permit.


1949 Road Traffic Convention & 1943 Inter-American Automotive Traffic Convention

A foreign visitor from one of the countries or territories listed herein may legally drive on the roads of the State of Vermont on his or her own country’s license (limited to a licensed driver who is at least 18 years old, legally present in the U.S. and limited to a vehicle of the type covered by the license) for up to one year from the date of arrival. The visitor may operate his or her own private passenger vehicle if displaying valid license plates from the visitor’s country (and meeting insurance standards set by the state of Vermont if operated over 30 days) for up to one year from the date of arrival.

Except for those registered in Mexico or Canada, vehicles being operated in Vermont that are registered in any of the countries listed below must also exhibit the International Distinguishing Sign[i] on the outside rear of the vehicle. The sign is a white oval that is obtained from the country of registration and contains one to three black letters identifying the country.

A licensed driver from one of the countries listed herein, in addition to his or her valid home country license, must carry a valid International Driving Permit[ii]. Permits are available, for a fee, from certain automobile associations but can only be issued in the country the applicant is coming from. An International Driving Permit does not confer any driving privileges but is a translation into ten major languages of the relevant information contained on the driver’s home country license.

CAUTION: Vermont does not recognize as valid any document purporting to be an "International Driver License" or any other document that confers driving privileges unless issued by the government agency that issues such licenses in the driver's country of residence and the driver is validly licensed.

  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Argentina**
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas, The
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Botswana
  • Brazil*
  • Bulgaria
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Central African Repub.
  • Chile*
  • Colombia*
  • Congo
  • Congo, Democratic Rep.
  • Costa Rica*
  • Côte D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
  • Cuba
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Dominican Republic**
  • Ecuador**
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador*
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France (including French Overseas Territories)
  • Gambia, The
  • Georgia (Rep. of)
  • Ghana
  • Greece
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala**
  • Guyana Haiti**
  • Honduras*
  • Hong Kong (but not mainland China)
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Ivory Coast (See Côte D’Ivoire)
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Korea, Republic of (South)
  • Kyrgyz Rep.
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Luxembourg
  • Macao (but not mainland China)
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Mali
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico*
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Namibia
  • Netherlands (also applies to Netherlands Antilles, and Aruba)
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua*
  • Niger
  • Norway
  • Panama*
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Paraguay**
  • Peru**
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal (applies to all Portuguese territories)
  • Romania
  • Russian Federation
  • Rwanda
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • San Marino
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Rep.
  • South Africa
  • Spain (applies to African localities and provinces)
  • Sri Lanka
  • Surinam
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Syrian Arab Republic
  • Taiwan (Republic of China)
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland, also applies to Cayman Islands; Gibraltar; Bailiwick of Guernsey; Isle of Man; and States of Jersey)
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States of America**
  • Uruguay*
  • Vatican City (Holy See)
  • Venezuela*
  • Vietnam, Rep.
  • Western Samoa
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

NOTE: Until further notice, licenses from the following former republics of the USSR and countries of the Baltics should be honored:

  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Estonia
  • Kazakstan
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Moldova
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan


* Party to 1943 Int.-Am. Conv., at Washington, DC

** Party to 1943 Conv. and Party to 1949 Conv. at Geneva

[i] In accordance with the 1968 Convention on Road Traffic (article 45 (4)) and the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic; ARTICLE 37 Distinguishing sign of the State of registration. (a) Every motor vehicle in international traffic shall display at the rear, in addition to its registration number, the distinguishing sign of the State in which it is registered. (b) This sign may either be placed separately from the registration plate or be incorporated into the registration plate.

[ii] An International Driver Permit (IDP) is essentially an English translation of a foreign language driver's license issued by a foreign country. These permits can only be obtained in the country that issued the actual license. Students and Visitors to Vermont: An IDP is not considered a valid license. It must accompany the valid foreign license. Vermont permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Vermont for a period of up to one year with his or her foreign license. If the license is in a language other than English, the license must be accompanied by an IDP, which serves as an English translation of the foreign license.


Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon