Skip to main content

Non-Domiciled Commercial Learner's Permits (CLP) & Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Per 49 CFR §383.5, a Non-domiciled CLP or Non-domiciled CDL means a CLP or CDL, respectively, issued by a State or other jurisdiction under either of the following two conditions:

  1. To an individual domiciled in a foreign country meeting the requirements of § 383.23(b)(1).
  2. To an individual domiciled in another State meeting the requirements of § 383.23(b)(2).

An applicant seeking a Vermont Non-Domiciled CLP/CDL must obtain a VT Driver’s License before applying for their commercial credential.

Upon obtaining their Vermont Class D Driver's License, the applicant can now begin getting their CLP/CDL.

The applicant must present, at the time of CLP/CDL issuance, at least ONE of the following:

  • A valid, unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • A valid, unexpired Passport accompanied by their most current I-94 form

At the time of CLP/CDL issuance, the applicant must present one of the documents above, proof of Social Security Number, and proof of residency. See "Identity Documents" for more information.


  • Proof of domicile is not required to obtain a non-domiciled CLP/CDL.
  • The applicant is not required to surrender their foreign credential to obtain a non-domiciled CLP/CDL. 


How can I get a new photo on my License, Permit or ID?

You must get a new picture taken at least once for every other renewal. You may get a new photo at any time for any reason (for a fee). Complete the required documents and schedule an appointment to visit an office.

What is REAL ID?

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. These purposes are:

  • Accessing Federal facilities
  • Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Entering nuclear power plants
Will CDL drivers be required to surrender their unexpired license if they renew early?

No. The current license will be voided and handed back. You should carry the old license with your temporary until the new license arrives. 

Can a driver holding a valid out-of-state license (either CDL or non-CDL) drive a Type II School Bus in the State of Vermont?

If the driver meets all qualifications for a Vermont Type II School Bus endorsement a card will be issued to the individual allowing them to drive a Type II School Bus in this state. These requirements include attending a Vermont school bus clinic, passing all required tests (knowledge, vision, and skill tests), and submitting a medical form.

Can a school bus endorsement be added to an out-of-state CDL?

No, the school bus endorsement must be added by the state that issued the CDL.

Can a driver holding an out-of-state CDL drive a school bus for a Vermont school?

Yes, if their license has both an "S" (school bus) and "P" (passenger) endorsement. There are no additional requirements.