Skip to main content

Identity Documents

You will need documentation from each of the 4 categories below:

  1. Identity and Date of Birth
  2. Social Security Information
  3. Vermont Residency and Current Address
  4. Lawful Status in the United States (Only required for Real ID & EDL)

NOTE: EDL has additional requirements. More information...

Proof of Identity and Date of Birth

New applicants and customers making changes to name, date of birth, place of birth, or SSN must present the required documents from each of these four categories. Not required for renewals with no changes to name, DOB, POB, or SSN.

Must provide one of the following:
  • Valid, unexpired passport,
  • A certified record of the applicant's birth, marriage, adoption, or divorce, including a translation if necessary
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Valid consular identification document issued by the government of Mexico, Guatemala (or any other government with comparable security standards and protocols, as determined by the Commissioner)
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS (Form N-550 or Form N-570)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or Form N-561) issued by DHS
  • Real ID Driver’s License or Identification Card issued in compliance with the standards established by 6 CFR part 37.
The name on the license is or will be other than the name that appears on a primary source document

If the name on the license will be different than the name on a primary source document (marriage, adoption, court order, etc), evidence of the name change (marriage certificate, court order, etc) is required. DMV will maintain copies of the documentation presented and maintain a record of both the recorded name and the name on the primary source documents.

Note: Additional documentation may be required at the DMV's discretion if the documentation submitted is questionable or if there is reason to believe the person is not who s/he claims to be. The driver's license personnel will determine if the documents provided from this list are authentic, valid, and acceptable. Photocopies and faxes of documents will NOT be accepted.

Social Security Information

See the guidelines for acceptable documentation of your Social Security Number.
More information »

Vermont Residency

See the guidelines for acceptable documentation of Vermont residency and address.
More information »

Lawful Status in the United States (Required for Real ID & EDL only)

In most cases, the documents required for proof of identity and date of birth will also establish lawful status in the United States. Foreign nationals must provide a passport and visa, alien registration receipt card (green card), or other proof of legal presence for inspection and copying.

The Vermont DMV uses a U.S. Department of Homeland Security program known as Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) to electronically verify immigration documents issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

  • If applying for an Enhanced License (EDL) Proof of US Citizenship is required. More information »
  • Proof of Lawful Status must have a minimum of 30 days remaining.