Skip to main content

Learner Permit

License/Permit Application - Somali

Si aad u codsato soo saarida kaarka aqoonsiga gaari waditaanka cusub ama cusboonaysiinta rukhsadda Vermont ama rukhsad (Aan ahayn CDL). Aqonsiga lagu wado gaari yada waawayn.
Subscribe to Learner Permit


I want a new photo on my license, learner permit or non-driver ID. How can I obtain one?

You must get a new picture taken at least once for every other renewal. You may get a new photo at any time for any reason (for a fee). Complete the required documents and schedule an appointment to visit an office.

Once I have taken the permit test and paid the fee, do I need to wait for the actual permit to come in the mail?

No. The receipt acts as your temporary learners permit for 90-days from the date on this receipt.  This must be in your possession when operating a motor vehicle.

What if my child did this without my permission?

Please contact us and we will review the application. 

How does DMV verify the information on the application without seeing any type of identification?

DMV will review the information and run checks to verify the information. If the checks don’t come back clear you will be notified to correct your information before a learner permit is sent to you.

My child is on an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Am I allowed to assist with the test?

You are allowed to read the test if necessary but are not allowed to give your child the correct answers.

How long do I have to wait to re-test if I fail?

If you fail a road test, you must wait at least seven days before retaking the test.

If you fail a knowledge test you must wait at least one day before retaking the test.

How many times can I take the test?

You may take the test as many times as you wish until you pass.

Will I have to pay if I fail and have to take another test?

Yes. You will pay the test fee each time you take the test.

I disagree with the scoring of some of the questions on the test and I failed. What do I do?

We can research and get back to you regarding your test. Contact us here.

Do I have to hold the permit for a year prior to taking my driver’s test?

Yes. Due to the Graduated License Law, you will need to hold your learner permit for a year prior to taking the road test.

I am 18 years old (or older) and just got my permit. Do I still have to drive with a licensed adult who is 25+?

Yes, the age of the permit holder is not relevant. The licensed driver must be unimpaired and 25 or older.

If I have temporary lawful status in the United States, will the Driver's License or ID card issued to me be different?

Your card will read “limited term” and the expiration date will coincide with the expiration of valid legal status obtained from documentation provided. If your lawful stay has no defined end or expiration date, you will have the option of choosing a 2 or 4 year card.

Does a Driver's License or ID card marked “limited term” have different or lesser privileges?

No. The Driver's License or ID card remains fully valid for all purposes normally associated with a Driver's License or ID card in the form issued.

A Driver's License or ID card marked “limited term” merely signifies that it is issued to a person who is a foreign national with temporary lawful status in the United States and has a shorter term than a regular Driver's License or ID card.

Can I drive in Vermont if I have a learner's permit from another state?