New License & ID Cards

Read more about changes to the Vermont Driver's License and ID Cards

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

U.S. citizens returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card or an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). An EDL can NOT be used for international flights. For up-to-date travel document requirements see U.S. Customs and Border Protection

A temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing, plan accordingly. If you have not received your new license within 20 days please contact us.

See Form VL-018 for additional information on ID requirements.

An EDL/ID has a fee that is in addition to the standard fees for licenses and/or Non-Driver ID (license fees vary by class, duration, and endorsement). License fees »

How to Obtain an EDL

Complete the appropriate application for your situation:

  • Valid license (form #VL-040)
  • New license or renewing license (form #VL-021)
  • New or renewing commercial license (form #VL-031)
  • Non-driver identification card (form #VL-017)

Required Identity Documentation

You will need documentation from each of the 4 categories below:

  1. Proof of Identity and Age
  2. Proof of United States Citizenship
  3. Proof of Social Security Number
  4. Proof of Vermont Residency and Current Address


Children under age 18 must apply in person with parent/guardian(s) who have evidence of relationship to the minor applicant. The minor child must provide his/her proof of Social Security number and U.S. citizenship. Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under age 15 do NOT need to provide photo ID.

Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID:

Privilege Card

Real ID


Renewal - License

Address Change

Related Forms & Information


If a mistake is found on your license/ID please contact us.

Yes, all card types will be issued through Central Issuance.

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon