Skip to main content

Driver's License, Address Change

You are required by law to notify the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of any change to your address or name.

How to change your address

  • If you move, you must change your address on your license, permit, non-driver ID, and vehicle records with the DMV within 30 days.
  • If you discover an error in your address, contact us as soon as possible. 
  • Vehicle and license records are NOT connected. You need to update registration documents separately.
    • When you change your address for vehicle registration, we also update the title certificate record.
  • While it is recommended, you do not need to order new DMV documents with your new address.
  • The DMV sends documents and important notices to customers by mail. We recommend that you use the same address on all of your applications, documents, and transactions.
The U.S. Postal Service does not notify DMV when you change your mailing address 

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not update your DMV records. You must still report your address change to both the U.S. Postal Service and the DMV.

For Traffic Tickets

If you update your address for a Traffic Ticket (at Vermont Judicial Bureau), the update does not change the address on your driver's license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records.

If you update the address for your driver's license, non-driver ID, permit, or vehicle registration records, the update does not change the address for your traffic ticket.

How to update

Online: Visit Updating your address online requires obtaining a new credential.

In-Person: Complete the Replacement License Form (form #VL-040) and schedule an appointment to visit a Vermont DMV Office.

By Mail: Complete the Replacement License Form (form #VL-040) and mail with any required fees to:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Commercial License/Permit Application
To apply for the issuance of any new, renewal, replacement or correction of any and all CDL licenses/permits/endorsements.
Non-Driver ID Application - English
To apply for a new, renewed, replaced, or enhanced Non-Driver Identification Card.
Replacement License
Used to make changes (name change, address change, etc), get a new picture, remove a restriction (eye glass) or to replace a lost or stolen license or learner permit. For CDL use form VL-031.