You are required by law to notify the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of any change to your address or name.
Change Your Name
You must apply in person in order to have your name changed on your license or non-driver ID card. To obtain a corrected license, please provide the following documentation:
- Documentation of your new name in the form of:
- An original or certified copy of a marriage license/certificate
- Civil union certificate, or
- Court order clearly stating your new name
- Completed Name/Address Change Form (form #VL-040)
NOTE: If your License or ID is Real ID compliant we are required to verify of your name and date of birth via Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV). You must update your records with the Social Security Administration prior to processing a name change at DMV. Before a license or ID can be issued in the new name, SSA records must be updated.
A change of company name requires a Change of Name Certification from the Office of Secretary of State.