You are required by law to notify the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of any change to your address or name.
Change Your Name
You must apply in person in order to have your name changed on your license or non-driver ID card. To obtain a corrected license, please provide the following documentation:
- Verification of your name and date of birth via Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV). You must update your records with the Social Security Administration prior to processing a name change at DMV.
- Documentation of your new name in the form of:
- An original or certified copy of a marriage license/certificate
- Civil union certificate, or
- Court order clearly stating your new name
- Completed Name/Address Change Form (form #VL-040)
A change of company name requires a Change of Name Certification from the Office of Secretary of State.