Skip to main content

Social Security Information

You must present your Social Security card or a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating ineligibility to receive a Social Security number (SSN).

If your Social Security card is not available, one of the following forms may be used in its place:

  • W-2 form,
  • SSA-1099 form,
  • pay stub showing name and SSN (minimum of last 4 digits)

Corrected Information / Name Change

Your name must verify with Social Security Administration. If you need to correct or update information at the Social Security Administration, do so before you visit DMV. You must bring your updated Social Security card with you when applying for a corrected Driver's License or ID card in your new name. For information on how to do this, visit

Replacement Social Security Card

The Social Security Administration offers online services for residents of Vermont available through the Social Security online portal. This allows people to replace their SSN card from the comfort of their home or office, without the need to travel to a Social Security office. For information on how to do this, visit

Foreign Nationals

If you are a temporary foreign national not authorized for employment, you are required to present documentation from Social Security Administration verifying you do not have an SSN. Vermont DMV will verify your USCIS number. The Vermont DMV will not issue a Driver's License or ID if you have less than 30 days of Lawful Presence remaining. The Vermont DMV will electronically verify your name, date of birth, and SSN with the Social Security Administration. Make sure your document is up to date and accurate to avoid delay.