Skip to main content

Vermont Residency

To obtain a new Vermont Driver's License, Enhanced Driver's License, Learner's Permit, Non-Driver ID, or Commercial Driver's License applicants must provide proof of residency in Vermont. In addition, applicants with an out-of-state physical address will be required to prove Vermont residency upon renewal of any of the above documents.

The residential address you supply must be a street or highway address. It may not be a post office box. In areas where a number and street name have not been assigned, an address convention used by the U.S. Postal Service is acceptable. You may use a post office box as your mailing address.

If mail is received at the street address:

  • Two pieces of mail with current name and street address.

If mail is not received at the street address, provide any two (2) of the following which show street address:

  • Utility bill (must list service address).
  • Property tax bill with physical location.
  • Lease or Landlord statement.
  • Vermont EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card or Vermont AIM (Advanced Information Management) identification card.
  • Homeowners/Renters insurance (policy/proof of claim).

If the applicant resides with others and gets no mail at their street address:

  • Completed Vermont Residency Certification and submit with application.

U.S. Military, Active Duty

  • If residing in Vermont, see above.
  • If residing out-of-state, military ID and proof Vermont is their residence in military records, such as Leave and Earnings Statement or orders.


  • Vermont Residency Certification and one (1) parent residency document from above.
  • Parent/Guardian evidence of relationship to applicant.


Residency Requirements for a Vermont Learner’s Permit

To prove Vermont residency, the applicant must provide the Department with one of the documents indicated above. If the applicant is a minor, the parent/guardian will be required to provide one of the residency documents.

If the applicant is not a Vermont resident, he/she may only obtain a Vermont Learner’s Permit for the purpose of participating in a driver education and training course. The applicant must provide the Department with one of the following:

  • A letter from a school Guidance Counselor stating the student/applicant is to be enrolled in a driver education course, or
  • A letter from a Driver Education School indicating the applicant/student is enrolled in a class.


Title 23 : Motor Vehicles Chapter 001 : General Provisions

§ 4. Definitions

Except as may be otherwise provided herein, and unless the context otherwise requires in statutes relating to motor vehicles and enforcement of the law regulating vehicles, as provided in this title and 20 V.S.A. part 5, the following definitions shall apply:

(23) "Nonresident" shall include any person who does not come under the definition of a resident.

(30) "Resident," for purposes of this title only, means any person living in the State who intends to make the State his or her principal place of domicile either permanently or for an indefinite number of years. Without limiting the class of nonresidents under the provisions of this subdivision, persons who live in the State for a particular purpose involving a defined period of time, including students, migrant workers employed in seasonal occupations, and persons employed under a contract with a fixed term, are not residents for purposes of this title only. Also in addition thereto, any foreign partnership, firm, association, or corporation having a place of business in this State shall be deemed to be a resident as to all vehicles owned or leased and which are garaged or maintained in this State.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Vermont Residency Certification - English
To use as proof of Vermont residency for applicants who are minors or applicants who are over the age of eighteen (18) and who reside with others.