Skip to main content

Non-Driver Identification

A Non-Driver Identification Card for individuals who do not drive. Any applicant for a Vermont Non-Driver Identification Card must be a Vermont resident.

All Vermont residents, regardless of age, are eligible for a Vermont Non-Driver ID card. Applicants can apply for a Non-Driver ID card if a Vermont license is valid, suspended, revoked, canceled, or expired. However, you may only hold one (1) Real ID compliant document at a time. Therefore if you wish to have a valid license and a valid Non-Driver ID, one of the two (2) must be a non-compliant card.

How to Obtain a Non-Driver ID

All original issue (first time) Non-Driver ID Cards must be applied for in-person at a DMV office with a completed form VL-017 and appropriate fees and documentation. License fees »

You will need documentation to establish identity. More information...

Applicants under age 18 are required to have a parent/guardian sign the application for the Identification Card. Applicants that hold a valid driver's license, permit or Non-Driver ID card from another state are only eligible for a Vermont Non-Driver ID card if they surrender their out-of-state card. Applicants that hold a valid driver's license from another country are eligible for a Vermont Non-Driver ID card and are not required to surrender their out-of-country driver’s license.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Foreign Exchange Parental Authorization
To allow permission by the parent of the foreign exchange student for the host parent to sign all documentation for the issuance of the learner permit or license.
Non-Driver ID Application - English
To apply for a new, renewed, replaced, or enhanced Non-Driver Identification Card.
Vermont Residency Certification - English
To use as proof of Vermont residency for applicants who are minors or applicants who are over the age of eighteen (18) and who reside with others.