Contact Commercial Vehicles/Licensing

Driver Training

Renewals, Transfers & Upgrades

All CDL transactions must be processed in person.

About one month before your Commercial Driver License (CDL) expires you should receive a renewal notice in the mail if we have your most current mailing address. Answer all the questions on the notice, sign it, and bring it to the Customer Services Office closest to you for processing along with the renewal fee. 

CDL Upgrade:

If you want to upgrade your CDL to a higher class, you must obtain a Commercial Learners Permit and hold it for a minimum of 14 days. If you wish to drive combination vehicles or add endorsements, you must take and pass the appropriate knowledge tests. A skills test (pre-trip inspection and on-road driving test) will be required in a vehicle representative of the class of vehicle you wish to drive. You will be subject to a subsequent test fee for this examination.

CDL Transfer:

In accordance with State and Federal law, any person holding a CDL from another state must transfer their out-of-state CDL within 30 days after establishing residency in Vermont.

Contact Us - Bottom Region

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon