Contact Commercial Vehicles/Licensing

Driver Training

HazMat Endorsements

Federal requirements for Hazmat drivers include:

  • Completion of a HAZMAT knowledge test
  • Completion of a Federal Security Threat Assessment
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or appropriate immigration status
  • FBI Fingerprint check
  • Federal criminal history background check; and
  • Additional fees for fingerprinting and background check.

Please complete the Federal Security Threat Assessment at least 2 weeks before your scheduled appointment. Applicants must complete the Federal Security Threat Assessment online at, or call 855-DHS-UES1 (855-347-8371) between 8am – 10pm prior to taking the Vermont endorsement examination. 

Procedure for obtaining a TSA Security Threat Assessment

Applicants must complete the  Federal Security Threat Assessment online at, or call 855-DHS-UES1 (855-347-8371) between 8am – 10pm prior to taking the endorsements examination. The operator will guide the applicant through the process and ensure the application is completed correctly. The applicant can also call the Service Center at any time if he or she has any questions about the website. It is important to note that the application must be completed either on-line or via telephone prior to arriving at a fingerprint capture location. It cannot be completed at the fingerprinting site.

Security Threat Assessment

Based on the data provided on the Federal Security Threat Assessment Application, TSA will perform a threat assessment for each applicant. The results of this assessment will be provided directly to the applicant's State DMV. The applicant will also receive a letter from TSA with the results of the assessment.

If the applicant has not received a letter from TSA in approximately 4 weeks after he or she has been fingerprinted, the applicant should call 855-DHS-UES1 (855-347-8371) between 8am – 10pm, Mon. – Fri.

Additionally, all commercial vehicle drivers with a HME have a continuing responsibility to report any change of status that takes them out of compliance to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 24 hours and surrender the Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

Hazardous Materials Endorsement Renewal

At license renewal time, those commercial vehicle drivers who wish to keep their hazardous materials endorsement must take and pass the hazardous materials endorsement knowledge test. This ensures that drivers who transport hazardous materials or hazardous waste are knowledgeable about regulations concerning the handling of hazardous materials.

This test must be passed before you renew your commercial driver license. If you do not take the hazardous materials endorsement test, or you do not pass the test, your CDL can be renewed without the hazardous materials endorsement. The endorsement can be added to the CDL after the test has been passed. However, you cannot transport placarded hazardous materials without this endorsement.

NOTE: To assure sufficient time to schedule this test, appointment scheduling should be made well in advance.

The U.S.A. Patriot Act mandates that a background check be conducted prior to issuance of a CDL Hazmat endorsement (this includes renewals).

A threat assessment is required for any driver seeking to obtain, renew and transfer a hazardous materials endorsement on a state-issued commercial driver’s license.

Register at

Contact Us - Bottom Region

Related Forms & Information


Until full enforcement of REAL ID begins on October 1, 2021, DHS and its component agencies, including TSA at its airport security checkpoints, will continue to accept for identification purposes all Vermont Driver’s Licenses and ID cards, as Vermont has been recognized as a Real ID compliant.

No. The current license will be voided and handed back. You should carry the old license with your temporary until the new license arrives. 

If a mistake is found on your license/ID please contact us.

If the driver meets all qualifications for a Vermont Type II School Bus endorsement a card will be issued to the individual allowing them to drive a Type II School Bus in this state. These requirements include attending a Vermont school bus clinic, passing all required tests (knowledge, vision, and skill tests), and submitting a medical form.

No, the "S" (school bus) endorsement must be added by the state of issue.

Yes, if their license has both an "S" (school bus) and "P" (passenger) endorsement. There are no additional requirements.

School contractors need to be in compliance with all CDL driver qualification requirements and regulations (FMCSR 391). It should be noted while there is an exemption for "to and from school" operation, there is no such exemption for trips performed by contractors. School transportation performed by a state or political subdivision of a state (i.e., municipalities) are exempt from some CDL requirements. For more information see FMCSR 390.3 (a), applicability, (f)(1)(2) exceptions (see interpretations for this section).

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon