Skip to main content

Registration, Renew

Renew Online

Renewing online is fast, easy, and secure. You can renew most types of vehicles, including cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, ATVs, and more. Upon completion, you will receive a temporary registration that is valid for ten days. A permanent registration will be mailed to you.

Renew Online

Renew by Mail

What you'll need to renew by mail:

  • Your signed registration renewal notice 
  • A check or money order for the amount indicated on the renewal notice
  • Mail renewal using the included envelope (DMV, PO Box 1308, Williston, Vermont 05495-1308). Note this address is only for renewals using the renewal notice mailed to you. Using this address for any other transactions will delay processing.

NOTE: If the renewal notice is missing, see below.

You will receive your permanent registration in about ten business days.

Renew in Person

Please note that office hours, services, and accepted payment methods differ by location.

What you'll need to renew in person:

  • Your signed registration renewal notice
  • Payment for the amount indicated on the renewal notice

Other situations

No Renewal Notice

If you lost your renewal notice or never received one, you may renew in person or by mail. You must complete a Registration Form (below) and pay the appropriate fees.

Registration Expires in a Future Month

Registrations may be renewed up to 60 days in advance.

Registration is Past Due

Registrations may be renewed up to three years past expiration.

Renewal of Snowmobile Registration

  • Vermont Snowmobile Registrations expire annually on the last day of August.
  • Vermont Snowmobile Registration Applications received within 30 days of the end of the current registration period are issued to expire at the end of the subsequent registration period.
  • Antique Snowmobile Registration does not expire.

Vessel Validation

Vessel validations expire annually at midnight on the last day of December. Your vessel validation application must be accompanied by the following:

  • A copy of your out-of-state registration or
  • A valid document issued by the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Bureau of Customs, or any other federal agency.

Trucks Weighing 55,000 Pounds or More

Vehicles registered at 55,000 lbs. or more (including agricultural) are required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to pay a Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). All applications must be accompanied by proof of payment and processed in the Montpelier office.

Acceptable Proof is:
  • Receipted IRS 2290, Schedule 1 (or copy), or
  • Form 2290 with Schedule 1 attached and a copy of both sides of the canceled check or
  • HVUT IRS Form 2290 with payment attached.
Proof of Payment Not Required If:
  • The tax has already been paid for the taxable period, or
  • The IRS exempts the vehicle, or
  • The vehicle was acquired within 60 DAYS and has not been registered to anyone during the taxable period.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Motorboat Application
To apply for registration as new, transfer, renew, or title only on a motorboat.
Registration/Tax/Title Application
To apply for registration and title (if applicable).

Use for new registration, transfer, renewal, title-only, adding or deleting an owner, lease buyout, and IRP.
Snowmobile Registration & Title Application
To register a snowmobile as new, transfer, renew, or title only.
Vessel Validation
To apply for a Vessel Validation